Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Grasshoppa
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 1 Post By nitram
  • 9 Post By Grasshoppa

Thread: 7mm wsm 162g ELD-X

7mm wsm 162g ELD-X

Heya team, i recently added a 7mm WSM to the collection that i intended to have a load developed for but the thing actually shoots well enough for what i do with Hornady 162g ELD-X Precision Hunter. Not really keen to live on rice every time I need ammo tho so does anyone have any clues what powder Hornady use in this so i can have it replicated with reloads?
    Cheers!
    Cooper likes this.

@dannyb may have a recipe that he cooked up for mine

Powder used in @223nut is adi 2217 I'm not home at the .moment but will post up load details when I get a chance.
    Will you be developing a load yourself or have you got someone that can help you ?
    Grasshoppa likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

mate uses 69gr of 2217 in his rem 700. Shoots the 162eldx @ 2940. That is the max load according to ADI and I think that is accurate. 24" barrel too
    Grasshoppa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post
    Heya team, i recently added a 7mm WSM to the collection that i intended to have a load developed for but the thing actually shoots well enough for what i do with Hornady 162g ELD-X Precision Hunter. Not really keen to live on rice every time I need ammo tho so does anyone have any clues what powder Hornady use in this so i can have it replicated with reloads?
    Cheers!
    Maybe superperformance? Uneducated guess though

I have new Redding dies and Bertram brass if you need any.
    PM me if interested.

Cheers for the replies
    I've got a guy that's reloaded for me in past with previous shooter and will be happy to continue if i tell him what i want,
    i dont really get to a range that often without a certain amount of hassle to test different loads so until that situation changes i was hoping to get something the same as the Precision Hunter. Ive got Hornady brass, can get projectiles, theoretically if we know powder we should get same result at a fraction of the cost. We could pull a current round apart and have a look but thought i'd ask the question first least someone been down that path already
    Seems counter intuitive i know, why settle for good when one could maybe (likely) get better with a little bit of effort,
    Most seem to point to 2217 being pretty good so might just have to get a few options brewed up and give them a try

Measure and copy the precision hunter cartridge overall length as this works in your rifle and then work up with 2217 until you get the results you see with the precision hunter. I reload for a mates one with the same eld-x/2217 combo and it shoots superbly.
    mikee likes this.

Heya team, update to this
    Settled on 68g of 2217, 3 holes touching averaging 3000fps from 21" Trueflite on Kimber Montana, pretty happy
    Tahr, Husky1600, Mooseman and 6 others like this.