Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ham 7mm
  • 1 Post By Hunter_killer
  • 2 Post By DLW

Thread: 7mm08

7mm08

Hey guys, looking at changing from the 150 eldx to the likes of the 160 tmk or 162 eldm. Anyone had any experience with running these? Also have some reloader 17 which i was gonna have a go with, have you guys noticed a change with it being temp sensitive in New Zealands climate? Cheers

I've been shooting the 162gr ELD-M's and X's through a tikka. I got a long action magazine and bolt stop so can seat them out to just off the lands.

ELD-Ms shoot really well but certainly on the slower side at 2550 fps with 41gr of 2208. You could probably load it hotter but was happy with the accuracy.

No experience with RL-17

I use a 7mm08 and like the 150 eldx, I have tried 162 eld-m and like kickinwings said only get 2550 or so. I know speed isn't everything but but when you look at it you get no advantage over the 150 eldx at normal hunting ranges due to the speed loss.
    I also brought a can of RL-17 but have yet to try it, that could tip the scales a bit depending on how well it works in a 20 inch barrel.

Gave the 162 ELD M with hornady brass and IMR 4350 a go an got 2700 fps with 47.5gr non-mag fit, rifle is a rem 700 with 24" barrel, accuracy wise it am very happy.
    winaa likes this.

Best I had out of a 19” T3 stainless.

Nosler 140gr BT, Belmont 748 - 43.5gr, CCI BR2 primers (changing to Fed 210’s)

Slogs well out to 300m Fellow = dead on impact (longest shot I have taken with the 7mm08), half MOA @ 100m.

2779 fps with SSR can on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    winaa likes this.

I have a Sauer 7mm08, 22inch bbl. 162 ELD-M @ 2570. The load can go 3 rounds touching at 100m. I stick with this accuracy, at a slower speed, as a deer isn't going to know the diff within 300m, and I feel confident of putting the round where it needs to go.

But... the clichè saying... whatever your rifle likes, then roll with that.

DLW
    I used 162gr eld-x at 2550 from a 20in barrel, killed big bodied reds out to 450yards really well but wasn't as great on smaller animals, but still did the job. Was loaded to mag length in a standard tikka no mag mods.

DLW
    I tried realoader 17 but got better speed with 2208 and it's always available win win
    winaa and Hunter_killer like this.