Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 7mm08 reloading

7mm08 reloading

Ok so...... I’m new as to this reloading buisness. So far I have.
    x1 box of Hornady 7mm 139grn sst progectiles
    x1 case of ADI AR2208 powder
    x1 packet of Winchester primers
    x 75 7mm-08 brass cases
    I know there is still a fair bit of things to get was just putting it out there just incase some one has some advice or anything they want to sell that they think I will need and if anyone has some advice on loading 139grn sst’s with ar2208 powder. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    x 75 7mm-08 brass cases
    I know there is still a fair bit of things to get was just putting it out there just incase some one has some advice or anything they want to sell that they think I will need and if anyone has some advice on loading 139grn sst’s with ar2208 powder. Cheers
    You have dies too
    Gibo, sometimes and Willus like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Oh shit cheers @Tommy yea redding 7-mm08 dies

GWH
    43.5gr of 2208 normally goes pretty well.
    outdoorlad, Gibo and llewelyn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    You have dies too
    looks like you have more than enough help there @anthony
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

41.5 grs of AR 2208 is the Max load listed for that bullet in 10th Edition of the Hornady manual. I would load a little lower than this and work up your load to GWH load of 43.5 grs. You may not be able to get to that weight load if you experience pressure problems. Watch out for sticky or hard to lift bolt after firing, that is a sure indicator of high pressure , you would need to back the load off if you get those indicators. Flattened primers and a crater on the primer where the firing pin hits are also indicators but not as good as the bolt lift one. 41.5 grs is listed as travelling at 2800fps.

Yip 43.5g of 2208 but yea work your way up

Just run a batch of loaded rounds at mag length going up in .5 gr increments from 40 grains and pick what shoot best then go kill some shit.

Every rifle is different. My last 7mm08 shot better at slightly lower pressure. Think it was 42.5
    SlimySquirrel, shooternz and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    x 75 7mm-08 brass cases
    What make of brass

In my experience all makes of brass are good except federal which was an arse to resize. Different makes will have slightly different capacities making the same load appear bigger or smaller in the case. However I have never found this to make any practical difference to accuracy or poi for hunting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    In my experience all makes of brass are good except federal which was an arse to resize. Different makes will have slightly different capacities making the same load appear bigger or smaller in the case. However I have never found this to make any practical difference to accuracy or poi for hunting purposes.
    That is true but can stuff up how much powder you can put in before you get presure signs
    Last edited by 260rem; 31-01-2018 at 10:34 PM.

I gather you have a press, shell holder(s) primer tray, loading tray, lube, deburrer etc. Sometimes it's forgetting the little things stops the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Yep, Federal sucks, necks split easy (even with annealing) and the flash holes and primers pockets are a mess.
    But for shoot it once and not caring in a semi, its an okay option.
    Welcome to Sako club.

You will need a note book to record your loads.

At first you might Not do much measuring.The critical dimensions that define a load are:
    Bullet weight and batch number
    Powder type weight and batch number
    PriMer manufacturer model and batch
    Cartridge Overall length to tip
    law measure to 7mm ogive which is more stable and defines jump to lands
    Case Manufacturer and length after trimming
    Later measure to sholder datum. I use a diameter of 0.4OO" for my 7mm 08. This defines the cartridge headspace and whether it will fit into the Chamber again. You Should adjust your die so it Only Sizes the case down by O-003 to 0-005" each time. Its easiest to use a full length die. If you use neck sizing then every now and then you will have to full length size or "bump" size the body.

I worked up to 43° gn of AR 2208 with 140gr Nosler ballistic tips but had tested higher loads so I know I have a bit to spare. My primer pockets are gradually getting loose so perhaps that is a bit hot really.

Ifyov don't like reading a reloading book I hear there are good videos on You Tube and one mate learnt online and shoots well now.

All the best with this!

You will need a note book to record your loads.

At first you might Not do much measuring.The critical dimensions that define a load are:
    Bullet weight and batch number
    Powder type weight and batch number
    PriMer manufacturer model and batch
    Cartridge Overall length to tip
    later measure to 7mm ogive which is more stable and defines jump to lands
    Case Manufacturer and length after trimming
    Later measure to sholder datum. I use a diameter of 0.4OO" for my 7mm 08. This defines the cartridge headspace and whether it will fit into the Chamber again. You Should adjust your die so it Only Sizes the case down by O-003 to 0-005" each time. Its easiest to use a full length die. If you use neck sizing then every now and then you will have to full length size or "bump" size the body.

I worked up to 43° gn of AR 2208 with 140gr Nosler ballistic tips but had tested higher loads so I know I have a bit to spare. My primer pockets are gradually getting loose so perhaps that is a bit hot really.

Ifyov don't like reading a reloading book I hear there are good videos on You Tube and one mate learnt online and shoots well now.

All the best with this!