Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 90 gr Sierra Game Changer in 243 Win

90 gr Sierra Game Changer in 243 Win

Up until now I have been using the Hornady 95 gr SST in my 243 Win which is a factory Mod 700 with a 2.5 x 10 Nikon Monarch on it which I have just fitted and sighted in. I have now sighted the rifle in with the new 90 gr Sierra Game Changer bullet at 100 yards and run them through the Chrono.
    I choose AR 2209 as my powder and loaded up some at 42 grains and 43 grains ( Max in ADI Book is 44.5 grs )
    42 grains AR 2209 = 3025 fps, 2945, 3056, 3049,3083. ( not sure what happened with the low reading) 3031 fps Av
    43 grains AR 2209 = 3239 fps, 3128, 3169, 3144, 3110 ( not sure what happened with the fast one) 3158 fps AV
    As I was sighting in at the time I never got a good chance to see how accurate they grouped but they showed a bit of promise until the barrel heated up.
    In the photo's the picture shows the first shot on the target then I started adjusting the scope, the next two shots in the black then I adjusted again and fired the next three shots , by this time the barrel was hot and the group opened up a bit. After letting the barrel cool I fired the last GC bullet to verify my 100 yard zero and it was close enough.
    The rifle is stock standard and has the upward pressure at the end of the barrel which works but was wondering if this would be the main cause of the groups opening up when it got hot. Would bedding the action and free floating the barrel improve things?
    As it is it's ok for hunting if you only fire a few shots at a time but after six or seven it seems to expand the group a bit.
    Happy with the velocity and it looks like a good bullet with a high BC of .490 which is good for a 243 bullet.
    I tried one of my old 95 gr SST loads after finishing sighting in and it hit about 1.4 inch high so it looks as if I can still use them as well.Name:  P1030149.JPG
Views: 993
Size:  2.70 MBName:  P1030150.JPG
Views: 808
Size:  2.93 MBName:  P1030151.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  3.70 MB

Next thing to do is try these Game Changers on some deer as there have been lots of different opinions about how they work on game. I still will try the Hornady 90 gr ELD X when they hit the shops as I think they will work well on game and should be good shooters.
    Tahr, takbok and Tussock like this.

bedding and free floating COULD well be the answer to your issue...its not hard to do and if you buy a kit of Nathan Foster....the after sales service and help is 2nd to none,if a tech tard like me can do it with a little email help anyone can.
    most every .243/EBRG/twoforfree Ive had anything to do with shoot tiny wee groups no matter what you feed them with.....yours looks like a problem child,a simple fix would see a good/ok rifle become a great one...if you arent game to do bedding job yourself,consider getting it done for you...cost shouldnt be more than say????$200???
    tetawa and rewa like this.

Yeh I have been thinking that it might be the answer. I will try a few more groups as is but if it doesn't improve that may be the remedy. I had my 300 RUM bedded and free floated the barrel and it made that a lot better, that was a Mod 700 as well.

well rules out the flinch factor LOL....
    Mooseman and TimC like this.

Banned
    Have you experimented with seating depth/jump?
    often overlooked

Not telling you how to suck eggs but get some 80gr TTSX off Greg Hannon using 45gr 2209. The only walking you will do is to your dead deer.
    tetawa and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by widerange View Post
    Have you experimented with seating depth/jump?
    often overlooked
    No I haven't as yet, my max coal is 72 mm with that bullet and I have them seated at 70 mm. I still think it is more to do with the barrel when it heats up. After I was on the target and I adjusted the sights the next two were pretty close but the next three started to open things up a bit more. As it is it's ok for hunting within its range capabilities but as Mickey Duck said most 243s are tack drivers, it would be nice to get it shooting better.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Not telling you how to suck eggs but get some 80gr TTSX off Greg Hannon using 45gr 2209. The only walking you will do is to your dead deer.
    Yep they would be a good bullet but I think these Sierra Game Changers could be OK too. I won't give up on them yet. At $96 a 100 I hope they work.

Hi @Mooseman, I hope they work too, I would (and I mean this) like to be proven completely wrong about my suspicion that they are going to be too hard. I say that because I am a huge Sierra fan and have been for about 30 years! What are you intending to hunt with the .243 and (assuming its deer) what kind of shot placement do you think you'll got for?
    Just...say...the...word

Banned
    Need to go back and fire a group without adjustment to check the old Monarch is not taking a round or two to settle. They don't normally, but you have to check.

I don't use the 243 muck these days but every so often I like to take it for a walk. Where I hunt most there are reds, sambar, pigs, so it could be any of these. Shot placement shoulder area maybe because they are meant to be a bit harder I would be looking at the shoulder blade area. I still think that a behind the shoulder will work, once the lungs are shot the animal will go down even if does run a little. When you watch the promotional video on the Sierra site of them shooting a butchered pig the damage looks pretty substantial. If they are a bit harder they should penetrate well on those big sambar stags.

@Flyblown it's hard to not pick up my 300 Win Mag when stopping around in Sambar country.

interested to here how they go. when I get sorted to reload the my 243, it would nice to know other bullets to try.
    From @Flyblown and @257weatherby, the 100gr sierra pro-hunters and 95gr sst seem to be good ones.

try that box of factory....it will rule out many a thing straight away....eg if it still shoots like shit,well you KNOW its not the ammo,if it puts in tiny wee group you know you have work to do on the reload AND a load that will work ...thats a win win in my book
    just went back and re-read origonal post......what does it do with the SSTs.....

I have shot about inch groups with the Sst bullets so nothing super flash but ok for hunting. Next time I take it out I will fire it a slow rate and take a couple of other rifles to try out while I wait for the barrel to cool between shots. This should eliminate the hot barrel theory. I loaded up another 5 rounds today and seated them at 69 mm to see if this helps . I have split the difference with the powder charge and loaded 42.5 grs oft AR 2209. The last lot were seated at 70 mm.