Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bushrash
  • 2 Post By GravelBen

Thread: Accuracy of Barnes Projectiles....

Accuracy of Barnes Projectiles....

An observation....

I have used a lot of barnes pills over the years and my experience has been consistently that they tend to not be as accurate as Nosler BT/Hornady Amax/SST....

I have used
    224 - in 53 gr
    6mm - 85gr TSX
    6.5mm 100 & 120 TTSX & TSX
    7mm 120TSX.

Would typically be converting from a BT/Amax load and would almost invariably find an increase in group size, and only with some concentrated effort be able to shrink that group back, almost never getting as small as the other projectile loads..

No complaints with terminal performance but I would say that I would sacrifice around 0.3 + MOA with most Barnes loads over the others.. even after a lot of effort in load development.

I am reasonably fussy with my accuracy requirements so I believe that I have at least attempted to do justice to the exercise... typically I have selected lighter projectiles in the barnes to negate the barrel twist issue..

I find this a little surprising, as I believed that CNC produced mono metal pills should be quite consistent at least in theory. Mind you I do note that no bench rest people are using such yet.... might be a reason for that?

Is this consistent with others experience...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    An observation....

I have used a lot of barnes pills over the years and my experience has been consistently that they tend to not be as accurate as Nosler BT/Hornady Amax/SST....

I have used
    224 - in 53 gr
    6mm - 85gr TSX
    6.5mm 100 & 120 TTSX & TSX
    7mm 120TSX.

Would typically be converting from a BT/Amax load and would almost invariably find an increase in group size, and only with some concentrated effort be able to shrink that group back, almost never getting as small as the other projectile loads..

No complaints with terminal performance but I would say that I would sacrifice around 0.3 + MOA with most Barnes loads over the others.. even after a lot of effort in load development.

I am reasonably fussy with my accuracy requirements so I believe that I have at least attempted to do justice to the exercise... typically I have selected lighter projectiles in the barnes to negate the barrel twist issue..

I find this a little surprising, as I believed that CNC produced mono metal pills should be quite consistent at least in theory. Mind you I do note that no bench rest people are using such yet.... might be a reason for that?

Is this consistent with others experience...?
    As far as I know Barnes are swaged not CNC turned ?

They're probably just not as consistent as the others. Ever weighed them? Miked them?

R93

Accuracy of Barnes Projectiles....

Never used them. I was put off them when they first come out and all the accuracy issues they apparently had back then.
    There is/was plenty of science and literature out there, as to why they are not as accurate as a decent lead cored projectile.
    Haven't heard much about any accuracy cons lately opposed to when they first come out, probably due to massive improvements across their range.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Vc uses them. I used federal ammo that was loaded with them they were mean as all touching at 100.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I have only used them in 30 cal and have found them to be one of the most accurate in a number of rifles. They do like to jump a lot to the lands i have found.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have only used them in 30 cal and have found them to be one of the most accurate in a number of rifles. They do like to jump a lot to the lands i have found.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    +1 in my 708 they like a fair bit of jump which is handy owning a tikka haha
    As far as acuracy goes i have found them to be pretty good have just finished loading up a heap of 120ttsx this arvo ,,,do they group as tight as the 140 b/t noslers i was using ?? no not quite but still very happy must run them quick but ,,,i have just fitted a suppresor and knocked 2" off the tube which i was worried bout and the grouping tightend up at 200 on the range which i was pretty happy with.
    As Far as in the field where to me is the important bit ,,,really happy with the knock down capabilities of the little 120's taking down reds quickly and cleanly and even a nice boar the other weekend pretty much fell where he stood,,,,,,all in all bit like the ford/holden deal works for some not for others
    Hunt4life likes this.
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

My mate shot a very large Gizzie stag[11 pter] in the light rain as it was walking away [3 weeks ago] Aiming at the base of the antlers and it never moved once the bullet hit. Its his 4th big stag this year using 55 TSX with 25gr BM2. Shot 22 deer this year out of his new X Bolt 223.All brass is annealed.He never complains about the reloads we make for him. During the roar he shot a huge 13 on the run at 320m. It buckled and collapsed after getting one at the base of the neck.Everyone tells him he needs a 270 so he can shoot his deer deader? He just gave me 47 empty cases with request for same recipe.Seat to top cannelure and keep your bore spotless. Your groups will be thumbnail.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    My mate shot a very large Gizzie stag[11 pter] in the light rain as it was walking away [3 weeks ago] Aiming at the base of the antlers and it never moved once the bullet hit. Its his 4th big stag this year using 55 TSX with 25gr BM2. Shot 22 deer this year out of his new X Bolt 223.All brass is annealed.He never complains about the reloads we make for him. During the roar he shot a huge 13 on the run at 320m. It buckled and collapsed after getting one at the base of the neck.Everyone tells him he needs a 270 so he can shoot his deer deader? He just gave me 47 empty cases with request for same recipe.Seat to top cannelure and keep your bore spotless. Your groups will be thumbnail.
    What the fuck is a Gizzie Stag

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    My mate shot a very large Gizzie stag[11 pter] in the light rain as it was walking away [3 weeks ago] Aiming at the base of the antlers and it never moved once the bullet hit.
    Out of interest, how relevant do you think the size of the deer or the bullet used are when a deer was killed by a headshot?
    thedrunkfish and Spudattack like this.

A big stag from that remote and isolated part of the east of the country called Gisborne :-)