Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By ChrisW
  • 1 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By BSA270
  • 3 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 3 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By Pete_D
  • 2 Post By Huk
  • 2 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By charliehorse

Thread: ADI 2207 and short barrel 308

ADI 2207 and short barrel 308

Hey knowledgeable folk,

Would ADI 2207 be a suitable powder ( I can get hold of some ) for lightish projectiles, loaded mild in a short barrel .308 ? ADI have data for it and I see it's a bit faster than 2206H so sounds suitable but just after opinions ?

Cheers, in advance.

The powder that gives the highest velocity with a long barrel will also give the highest velocity with a short barrel - so the only thing you really need to consider is the projectile weight and choosing a suitable powder for that weight.
    You dont need to add barrel length into the consideration.

@ Pete_D you need to give more details what bullet weight & most importantly what barrel length ,l will probably have loads still in my Reloading log books, from when l hunted with the Sambar Hound Crews while hunting in Oz ,who all used short barrelled rifles from 270 to 458 Lotts
    Pete_D likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

I use 2206H in my 16" .308 with Accubond 125gr. projectiles. 49.5grains gives me 2960fps and good accuracy.
    Pete_D likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    ADI have the data for 2207 with light bullets, and you can get hold of it, so go for it.
    shooternz, Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Hey knowledgeable folk,

Would ADI 2207 be a suitable powder ( I can get hold of some ) for lightish projectiles, loaded mild in a short barrel .308 ? ADI have data for it and I see it's a bit faster than 2206H so sounds suitable but just after opinions ?

Cheers, in advance.
    Adi 2207 is simalar in burn rate to 4198 I use both in my .222 Rem just use the ADI data you will be fine
    the muzzle flash could be less than the slow powders you will also use less.
    Pete_D likes this.

Greetings Pete_D,
    I echo much of what has been said before. You state that the aim is for a light load in a short barrel .308 with light projectiles. I note that you have found data on the ADI site but wonder if you have found the .308 data in the pistol section. This data is for a 15 inch barrel so may be better suited for your rifle. You will give up around 150 fps using AR2207 instead of AR2206H but this is likely of little concern as you are after a light load. AR2206H is touted as an ideal powder for reduced loads but I note AR2207/H4198 or IMR 4198 are often used for light loads with cast lead in .308 capacity cartridges and expect that AR2207 will be just as good and the fact you can get some should seal the deal. Let us all know how you get on.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck, Pete_D and BSA270 like this.

Thanks guys for your insights, just got back from visiting family out of town and thought I'd see if I can get some powder. Bloody gun city told me the only powder they had was 2207, well turns out they don't. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and good to know in the future. cheers, Pete
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Huk
    Good ol Gun City ehh
    Pete_D and BSA270 like this.

@Pete_D So what your are better off doing is, stating what barrel length you will be using ,importantly what Game & usual range you will be hunting them , What Bullet & specific weight are you thinking of using .

You may end up with a completely different powder than what you are now looking for, better suited to your needs & it may end up some one has it sitting unused & willing to sell to get you started, seeing lighter bullets are not what a lot use these days where heavy is seen as king .
    Last edited by bunji; 15-01-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    Pete_D and BSA270 like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

your right @bunji but at this moment in time, I'm not even sure of those things and I was just thinking of picking some up since available. But yes in the future I will pick everyones brains. Cheers

If you're interested I'm pretty sure I have some 2207 in the shed I don't plan on using if you can get it from me @Pete_D
    Pete_D likes this.