Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Advice 30-06 0-500yards load

Question Advice 30-06 0-500yards load

Hey guys got a new project in the wings that I will be loading for at some stage.
    I mostly shoot reds and the occasional fallow can anyone give me some advice of their experience with 30-06 and where I should be looking for a all round load that will be ok from 50yards out to 500 yards ?
    Haven't played with a 30-06 yet so not sure where the shine best.
    Heavy and slow say 180ish gns for high bc pills that wont blow up at close range ? Light and fast for flat shooting ?
    Hard monos ? Or softer pills ?
    I have 2208 on hand which seems ok I understand that 2209 is better but open to suggestions.....
    I know all components are hard to get currently so hypothetically just researching at the moment so I can keep my eyes out when components become available.
    Thanks everyone
    #DANNYCENT

I used 165 nosler bt in my 30/06. Worked well but never shot to that distance. A friend is using 178 eld-m in his 308 with really good results at 600+ yds. I’d they them or a match 180gr.
    erniec, Danny and dannyb like this.

56 grain of IMR4350 behind a 180 sgk bt will be accurate and about 2700+ fps. Around 58 grn will give you over 2800fps with a 165 grn sgk.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Caretaker
    178g ELD-X
    veitnamcam, Danny and dannyb like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I started with the 165 SGK, kills anything it hits. Then loaded some 165 SST's - shot same point of impact. And they kill anything they hit. To make sure things were all good I spent some time on the gongs out to 600, nothing fancy, just punch some numbers in to a ballistic's app and have at it. Way out to 600 was easily achievable with both projectiles, in fact boringly repetitive.
    Then just to try and screw with the system I loaded some 150's and 180's. Bugger me, they performed the same, accurate and repetitive. I would suggest dont over think it, pick a projectile you would be happy to use, load some up and if it works, go shoot some shit.
    If you need some 30 cal projectiles to play with, let me know Danny, I can drop some over.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    I started with the 165 SGK, kills anything it hits. Then loaded some 165 SST's - shot same point of impact. And they kill anything they hit. To make sure things were all good I spent some time on the gongs out to 600, nothing fancy, just punch some numbers in to a ballistic's app and have at it. Way out to 600 was easily achievable with both projectiles, in fact boringly repetitive.
    Then just to try and screw with the system I loaded some 150's and 180's. Bugger me, they performed the same, accurate and repetitive. I would suggest dont over think it, pick a projectile you would be happy to use, load some up and if it works, go shoot some shit.
    If you need some 30 cal projectiles to play with, let me know Danny, I can drop some over.
    Thats bloody generous of you, I may take you up on that. My biggest issue will be finding a suitable projectile I can get enough of once a load is developed.....
    #DANNYCENT

165 SST and 2209 or RE16 will do what you want perfectly
    Husky1600 and Danny like this.

2209 is the go if you have it, but 2208 and quicker powders will work in the 06.

With 2209 and a 180 gn pill, 56 of 09 is about where it’s at ~2700 ish fps, up to 58.5-59 with a 165 for 2900 fps in my rifles.

On reds and pigs etc a cup and core 165 is fine. Use your favourite flavour or what you can get. I swap between Nosler bt and AB for when a Sambar might come be in the area. Similar point on impact to each other.

Shooters world Gore have 178gr Eld X a plenty.

For those interested. Being the minion I am taking note of who has what in stock on my travels
    dannyb likes this.

178eldms would be epic with some 2209.

I use 178 eld m's and 2209.

Been thinking of changing to eld x's for a bit more certainty on the close shots, but no problems so far
    dannyb likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Hey guys got a new project in the wings that I will be loading for at some stage.
    I mostly shoot reds and the occasional fallow can anyone give me some advice of their experience with 30-06 and where I should be looking for a all round load that will be ok from 50yards out to 500 yards ?
    Haven't played with a 30-06 yet so not sure where the shine best.
    Heavy and slow say 180ish gns for high bc pills that wont blow up at close range ? Light and fast for flat shooting ?
    Hard monos ? Or softer pills ?
    I have 2208 on hand which seems ok I understand that 2209 is better but open to suggestions.....
    I know all components are hard to get currently so hypothetically just researching at the moment so I can keep my eyes out when components become available.
    Thanks everyone
    Rifle details?

Barrel length, twist rate, contour, stock, weight, what type of scope you have on, etc?

Best consider all these factors when developing a load, a light rifle with a heavy load (many of the sugguestions above are) will not be fun to shoot over extended periods, meaning harder to gather dope and drift data.

Why develop an absolute banger of a 500m load if 90% of your shots are 0-150m? Two different pills could be a better choice.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Rifle is 1:10 twist, 22" barrel, general hunting contour bareel not heavy not ultra skinny, will be suppressed, bout 3kg, will have a 4-16×40 nikon monarch on it for now, in reality most of my shots are 200-400 yards on average but have the abilty and skill to take shots out to 600 yards in the right conditions.
    Recoil is not an issue for me.
    caberslash likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

bog std 150grn hornady interlock pills work darn well in the 06 and will take care of the 90% of stuff......save your superdupergarycooper loads for the other 10%
    your wallet will thankyou for it,it may ever save your sanity not having to be miserly guts and not shooting as much as low on good pills.
    grandpamac and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Shooters world Gore have 178gr Eld X a plenty.

For those interested. Being the minion I am taking note of who has what in stock on my travels
    I did comment on the various projectiles I saw on the shelf a week or two back, something along the lines of "if you had a website they'd be goneburgers" and the answer went a little something like "we're here to look after the locals"
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.