Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Advice on loading kit

Hi I'm wanting to start reloading will just be doing my hunting rounds for few different calibres am wanting advice on what kit to get have looked at a few can get Lee kits for around $250 and Hornady for around $750 is it better to just spend the extra money and presumably get the better kit to start rather than buy the cheap one only to want the better one after a while, Thanks

Buy the best you can from the word go

I bought a Lee turret press for $250. Includes some bits and pieces. It suits me although I use it as a single stage but it's good.
    To be honest however if you're setting yourself up for the long haul it's well worth spending extra. I've spent close to $600 all told and half of it was shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Yeah Lee presses dont last that long IMHO, I wore two out in about 10 years (Their collet dies are good though). Buy A decent single stage RCBS/Hornady/Lyman and be done with it. Electronic scales are now pretty good and I find easier to use than the old beam balance scale.

Get Lee dies dont bother with anything more expensive, they are great dies IMHO. It doesnt sound like you will be doing a lot of reloading ie 1000rnds+ a year plus so I suggest the Lee kit and definitely the Lee dies. Most of my stuff is Lee but I bought a RCBS last xmas as an upgrade but I do > 1000rounds per year. I dont like the cheap electronic scales myself ie the $85 odd ones and the Lee beam is about $55 and very accurate. It's $460 for the lyman electronic gen6 dispenser, so if it was me and I had $750 Id buy the Lee kit and the Lyman gen6 auto dispenser and Lee dies.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

northdude
    I started with a lee loader and now just use a cheap arse lee press its nothing fashionable but it makes accurate ammo so does the lee loader for that matter I don't have lots of money so I got a cheap set up but if you have lots of money get an expensive set up mines 6 years old and havnt had any problems

I suspect loading magnum calibers doesn't help. I loaded a fair bit of 300WM which puts more strain on the press.