Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stug

Thread: Advice needed 25/06

Advice needed 25/06

Hey team, now please don't kick me to hard here as I've learnt a lot since owning this rifle and what I should have done verse what I have done.......

This is my first ever bought hunting rifle and I love it dearly!! It is a ruger mkII model 77, I had a good friend Harvey Westland work on it some years ago and I dropped my first two deer with it, since then it has not had a lot of work due to work and other commitments but I now find myself with a bit of time, and with a bit of fitness work my 44 year old legs will soon be out hunting!

But I did something a little silly, I suppressed it and the barrel now measures a little over 20 inches, it's still deverstating on wallabies with 53.1 gr of H4831sc and Sierra 90gr hpbt, but have I killed it as a deer rifle? I really want to get back out hunting!!!!!

I know the 1/10 twist is good for 100 gr projectiles, do you think the rifle can still deliver a clean and humane kill? I'm not a bloke who likes taking long shots, I would imagine most deer I would shot at would be within 100 meters or so. Is there still enough hydrostatic energy given I had a couple of inches removed....... It just seemed such a good idea at the time! (Hearings still buggered though! ) or can I use a faster burning powder and even a slightly heavier projectile?

Any suggestions

Try a barnes TTSX projectile. In my 708 I used to use 140gr corelokts, after chopping and suppressing I now use 110gr TTSX and they work well. Try a lighter TTSX projectile than you would use a normal lead core. I see they make a 100gr TTSX, or a 90gr if they make those.

Hey stug, thought Arrrrr bugger it and Went and bought a box of swift scirocco II 100gr projectiles, will try and get a powder sorted and just run it through the chrono!

Just a pig to get load data for it as Swift only put out a reload data book you have to buy!

They should be fine. Just start with other 100gr projectile loads. They won't be much different. The only real problem will be if they have a really long bearing surface which will increase friction and pressure.
    puku likes this.

My 24" Rem 25/06 grouped well with the Swifts in front of 56/2213SC. 3200.