Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 3 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 2 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By wsm junkie
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 5 Post By Oli1102
  • 2 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP

Thread: Annealling

Annealling

I want to have a crack at annealling and have a couple questions for the gurus....

With my 7mm08ai im only needing to bump the shoulder on the 5th firing but some of the necks are splitting at the 6th or 7th. So with the constant neck sizing I take that its only the necks getting work hardened.

With that in mind, do I need to full length size the annealled case or is it ok to just continue neck sizing until the shoulder needs bumping?

Is there any negative to annealling after each firing or is it better to wait untill cases have been fired 2 or 3 times?

Cheers

There are a lot of interesting stuff regarding neck size vs full length size on Panhandle procession.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    wsm junkie likes this.

And anneling on there as well, I made one off you tube and am going to use it after each firing and full length size with a 2 thou shoulder bump each time.

I used to wait for 3 or 4 firings before annealing but more recently I just anneal after every firing. Neck tension is more consistent and brass life way better. Have not seen any downside.
    wsm junkie and Tech like this.

Cheers guys @25/08 IMP thats bloody impressive but a bit too techo for me.....i was thinking more caveman style...socket in a power drill n gas torch...baby steps aye
    Frogfeatures likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    Cheers guys @25/08 IMP thats bloody impressive but a bit too techo for me.....i was thinking more caveman style...socket in a power drill n gas torch...baby steps aye
    You will be surprised how easy it was to make there is a parts list on YouTube for that as well.
    It only took a couple of hours to make and about $100

wsm junkie likes this.

I built one similar, however using a second motor and case feeder. I have a chart on the top left that I use to record previous settings for cartridge/headstamps. I use tempilaq to work out the initial settings and then use tempilaq on the first couple of cases each time i run the machine. I have set mine up to run off a 9Kg LPG cylinder for better consistency and economics of gas cost (compared to the 1lb bottles).

Like @25 /08IMP I am annealing every firing (because it only takes about 10mins include set up to anneal 100 cases) and bumping shoulder 0.002".

Name:  Annealing Machine.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  18.6 KB

I shoot 308 calibre.

I use Lapua Palma (small rifle primer) cases.
    I full length resize after each use as the cases can be used in 1 of 3 similar but not identical actions.

I don't push my loads for speed, need to be fast enough but accuracy is the goal.

My most used cases have been fired 13 times without annealing (or trimming).
    The 13th fired cases will get a trim this winter, along with some of their friends who have been fired 11+ times.

Lapua don't recommend annealing their cases.

Could there be another reason for splitting necks, not just lack of annealing?

Anneal every firing. Use deep wall socket,18v drill and Benzomatic. Does not have to be complicated. Forget about the rubbish of dropping the case in water after annealing.
    wsm junkie and chainsaw like this.

https://youtu.be/k0xE-6bSwME

Shadowsol likes this.