Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Allgood
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By huntsika
  • 2 Post By shooternz
  • 2 Post By rossi.45
  • 3 Post By rossi.45
  • 2 Post By shooternz

Thread: Anyone here still shoot a 222rem Magnum?

Anyone here still shoot a 222rem Magnum?

Reason I ask is that while going through my reloading stuff I found a bag of 222 rem Magnum brass. Bought them new from reloaders about 10 yrs ago when I wanted some 222 brass and got given these by mistake. Bag of 100 new 222 rem magnum.........

Guess I could neck them down to feed one of my 204's but it would be a shame to do that if someone still shoots the 222 mag......
    Micky Duck likes this.

Someone will have a Sako Vixen L461/A1 kicking about in .222 Rem Mag for sure, unless it's been converted to .223 (which is actually a sensible thing if you shoot a lot)...

or the 224 terminator which cracks me up....
    the 222 magnun got necked down to 204
    the 204 necked back up to 224

round n round we go, where it stops, nobody knows.

I’ve got one (a lovely Sako L461 - part of my Sako Vixen collection). I do have some brass but if you have some I would be keen- will PM you.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsika View Post
    I’ve got one (a lovely Sako L461 - part of my Sako Vixen collection). I do have some brass but if you have some I would be keen- will PM you.
    Got your PM....just getting ready to leave as I have a charter to run tomorrow. Will get back to you...

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    I am building a 22 rem mag at the moment and am looking for some brass, it doesn't seem to be easy to find in NZ.
    Go with the .222 Rem it is more accurate than it's siblings, I think it holds a world benchrest record also a NZ 200 yard Benchrest record
    accuracy always trumps velocity.
    Micky Duck and rossi.45 like this.

[QUOTE=shooternz;1151434]Go with the .222 Rem it is more accurate than it's siblings, I think it holds a world benchrest record also a NZ 200 yard Benchrest record
    accuracy always trumps velocity.[/QUOTE

Not disagreeing with you @shooternz just thinking out loud here on a rainy day

how easy is it to get the case ( or make ) how much is that cartridge going to cost and the Biggy whats it
    going to be used for, how heavy is that rifle setup going to be.

2 examples i have is these cartridges
    .222 on the left & its Wildcat version the .22 VarTarg Turbo ( shorter neck, blown out shoulder, neck turned in a tight chamber )

.222 in a Sako Vixen its a great Walkabout setup, i dont need tiny groups, its a kinda dual purpose setup to me . . the VarTarg in a heavy barreled Varmint rifle is a Big step up in accuracy and i gain an extra 100 yards in range when shooting Rabbits over the Sako.

Name:  20210425_091626-1.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  1.05 MB
    Last edited by rossi.45; 25-04-2021 at 10:49 AM.
    Steelisreal and caberslash like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

last thought before i head outside, its stopped raining . . the .222magnum always sounded exotic back in the day before the .223 took over and if i wanted to build a period rifle i would consider it, fck the cost, fck being sensible, just do it.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    last thought before i head outside, its stopped raining . . the .222magnum always sounded exotic back in the day before the .223 took over and if i wanted to build a period rifle i would consider it, fck the cost, fck being sensible, just do it.
    Yeah that's the attitude, I built a .223 Rem to shoot Full bore rifle, at 100 metres my .222 beats it all day every day but not at a 1000 yards

my other favourite rifle is a 6mm Remington bult on a Parker Hale Mauser action, You get what you fancy.
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.