Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cordite
  • 2 Post By Slug

Thread: Anyone loading for 6.5 jap?

Anyone loading for 6.5 jap?

As per title really. Been offered a type 38 carbine but would definitely need to be reloaded for.

Would probably use ppu brass. Cheap speer bullets.

Not sure what powder.

Cheers

Original load was flat base spitzer 138 grain, so I'd start there, don't get fancy and hope 6.5 boat tailed SMKs will do anything but misbehave - they were my first load because I had them lying about, we all had fun firing them at the range while the rest stood behind trying to guess where they'd impact... (-: My next load try will be flat-based, heavy round noses, if they fail Miss Arisaka 38 will be a safe queen come wallhanger.

The twist will stabilise a heavier, round nose bullet (which was the original military load) and it's more likely to suit your rifle if it is at all generous with its throat or bore. OK so a heavier bullet does more of a rainbow, but how far out do you want to go with open sights? The main problem is accuracy, not trajectory. I read somewhere in a WW2 report that the Japanese rifle bullets often keyholed back then, before hitting stuff, but there was a lot of racist propaganda about. They certainly keyholed on impact and made a mess, no doubt fully intentional.

The actions are very strong so a lot of leeway with the smallish case. I say "smallish" because the 6.5 jap still has 1.5x the muzzle energy of a 5.56x45NATO. It's really the WW1/WW2 Goldilocks cartridge and would be today except for being a long action.

Hogdon has load data, some examples:

Name:  hogdon6.5jap.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  204.9 KB

Let's know how you get on.
    mimms2 likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

The idea is mainly as a range toy. Bit of history. Maybe shoot a deer in the Bush

i have used the Speer 140 HCSP Hot Cor and Hornady 140 SP Interlock depending on whats around and/or cheap, always the flat base. Can hit a gong at 100metres with ease, I don't bother doing groups with mil surp rifles as I don't use them for hunting or competitive target shooting, just fun at the range.
    Russian 22. and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    i have used the Speer 140 HCSP Hot Cor and Hornady 140 SP Interlock depending on whats around and/or cheap, always the flat base. Can hit a gong at 100metres with ease, I don't bother doing groups with mil surp rifles as I don't use them for hunting or competitive target shooting, just fun at the range.
    What powder?