Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tankd

Thread: Ar2213sc load data for 2213

Ar2213sc load data for 2213

Hi,wanting to reload 100gr Barnes ttsx in my 260rem,I have some 2213 on hand which was replaced by 2213sc,can anyone confirm if I can use 2213sc load data?,thanks

Hi
    It's the same stuff, just smaller granules (sc = Short Cut).
    Ar2213 sc is easier to use in a powder dispenser.

Caveat that any different batch of the same powder may differ slightly, be careful if you are at the top end!

Cheers,I read that they had made it better for metering purposes,at least I now know what "sc" means

It’s NOT the same. 2213sc is based on 2213h. You could end up with dangerous loads. Check with @grandpamac he knows more about it than me.

This is from a Yankee forum. He is commenting on the question "is H4831 the same as 4831". 2213sc is currently repackaged by Hodgdon as H4831. Whether that was the case for 2213 repackage as 2213 I don't know.

"The SC is supposed to have the same burn rate as the full grain size version, but burn rates are targets tested in water pool chamber using a PETN ignitor or in a vivacity bomb and those just dosn't always behave like a gun. The Australian AR2213 and AR2213SC powders these are Down Under are held to ±3% burn rate, or a 6% span. They obviously aren't the same lot, so that may be the issue. However, it is also the case that the higher the powder bulk density is, the less easily the igniting flame front moves through it, so variation could due to that and it might be solved by changing primers for at least one of them.

Bryan Litz said in his experiments he could find one load combination that did better with Federal primers and another that liked CCI, and so on. He recommends keeping several primer types around, since they are cheap and don't break down like powder so you can try different ones with different powders. This might even be a case where using a magnum primer with one and a standard primer with the other works best."

The difference between 2213 and 2213SC are minor ,one is slightly slower than the other. 2213 is slightly faster than 2213SC .Just start a grain or two lower for a start load and you will be alright
    zimmer likes this.

I’ve got 2 quite old ADI Handloader’s Guides. One is actually a Mulwex guide and in it Mulwex have just introduced AR2213.
    Using data for 270 Win (260 not around then) 130 gr projectiles, both guides list 58.0 gr as max. Unfortunately, early ADI data only listed generic projectile weights, not specific brands and types.

The current online ADI guide listes several brands of 130 gr projectiles with max loads of AR2213SC at 60.0 grs, 2.0 grains over the old AR2213.

When comparing old guides with new, in a lot of cases the new guides show slightly reduced loads over the old. Not always though. Also, the modern ADI guides have tended towards being a tad conservative.

So does this mean the old 2213 is fractionally faster than the modern 2213sc – I don’t know. See @Tankd posting.

As always, work up in load weights and so drop the 2213 load a grain over the recommended starting load for 2213sc until you get some velocities to compare.

Also, how much 2213 do you have? I have in the past turfed superceded powders I’ve had when I’ve only had small quantities of them. Hardly worth taking the time and effort to work up a load for a powder you won’t be able to get more of.

Once you run out of 2213 I recommend you will need to redo some of your load development checks when changing to 2213sc. Similarly when starting a new batch of the same powder.

Greetings Ruapehu and All,
    AR2213 is definitely faster than AR2213SC and you can't use the same load data. Unfortunately a lot of the data for AR2213 was developed prior to the ADI Hodgdon cooperation and is suspect to say the least. Some of the data is hot to the point of dangerous and some is OK. Your powder is also at least 20 years old which is fine if it has been stored carefully but if you don't know its history it is better disposed of. ADI states that AR2213 is between IMR4831 and H4831 so if you are feeling brave IMR4831 start loads would be a good place to start and heed Zimmer's advice above. The Hodgdons web site shows both IMR4831 and H4831 loads.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Imr4831 is faster than both 2213and2213sc .You are better off starting a little low with the 2213Sc as it is a slower powder and you do not know how viable your 2213 is . The burn rates are as follows #132/137 https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...rate-color.pdf

Should read UNDER not over. Dolt.

As always, work up in load weights and so drop the 2213 load a grain over the recommended starting load for 2213sc until you get some velocities to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruapehu View Post
    Hi,wanting to reload 100gr Barnes ttsx in my 260rem,I have some 2213 on hand which was replaced by 2213sc,can anyone confirm if I can use 2213sc load data?,thanks
    Greetings Ruapehu,
    Just read your OP properly and noted you want to load the 100 grain Barnes TTSX. For this projectile you need to use data for that projectile. Hodgdon offers it but does not list IMR4831. AR2209 seems a better choice which Barnes also lists.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Imr4831 is faster than both 2213and2213sc .You are better off starting a little low with the 2213Sc as it is a slower powder and you do not know how viable your 2213 is . The burn rates are as follows #132/137 https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...rate-color.pdf
    My bad I got it arse about face , you should use the faster powder load as that will be a lighter weight load than a slower powder . The only question is do you have enough powder to make it worthwhile , although at the moment any powder is better than none .So using the 2209 as a start point could work, but still drop a grain or two as a test and work up.