Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mossie
  • 1 Post By crzyman

Thread: Ar2225 vs AR2217 in 7mmRemMag

Ar2225 vs AR2217 in 7mmRemMag

So currently I am running a load that came with my rifle. 72gr 2217 under 162 A-Max giving 3035 fps. Seems to shoot bloody well (.5MOA consistent).

However being the tinkerer that I am, I was keen to do some load development. I have two ideas - first being trying a hunting load with the A-Max using 2225, and the second being a load using a 180gr pill for LR gong shooting.

Anyone played with the above ideas and have some insight for me?
    I love all animals.........especially with gravy

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    My opinion is that 2225 is too slow burning for a case that size. 2217, RL22 and 2213 would be the powders I'd try.
    I'm shooting 2217 in the RUM, 2225 was ok, but I think it may have been just a touch too slow

NOTE: Barrel is 26"

Weight Powder Barrel Start FPS Max FPS

160 AR2217 24" 63.0 2730 - 66.0 2840
    160 AR2225 24" 65.0 2755 - 69.5 C 2915

From the adi website.

Your 6g over max for 2217, so you will be over 2225 max to start with, max is already compressed. I don't think you will get enough powder in the case
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

26" - sames

Another 'opinion' of mine is that if its not fucked, dont mess with it!

I find it ALOT more fun to dick around with smaller cases for the sake of it.. less beating on you and the gear, esp if it has 'Magnum' in its name.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    Weight Powder Barrel Start FPS Max FPS

160 AR2217 24" 63.0 2730 - 66.0 2840
    160 AR2225 24" 65.0 2755 - 69.5 C 2915

From the adi website.

Your 6g over max for 2217, so you will be over 2225 max to start with, max is already compressed. I don't think you will get enough powder in the case
    ADI is way out on the 2217 loads as far as I am concerned.My load is by no means hot in a reasonably tight chamber. I would expect I could push over another grain in there without pressure signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    26" - sames

Another 'opinion' of mine is that if its not fucked, dont mess with it!

I find it ALOT more fun to dick around with smaller cases for the sake of it.. less beating on you and the gear, esp if it has 'Magnum' in its name.
    This is true. The main goal is something with the 180's for longer shots.

I will still keep my current loads as they shoot bloody well. But I did remove some of the fun by buying a rifle with load development done I am a tinkerer by nature!
    Grasshopper likes this.

I start at ADI max, but thats another story.

So, you have a accurate load with good speed and a good bullet....... and you want to burn up your barrel for what??

Buy another rifle and tinker with it is my advice
    Spanners likes this.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Im running 70.0g 2225 in my 7mmRemMag for just over 3K. Tried N560 and got crazy speeds like 3200fps with 72g and was pretty accurate but had some nasty fire cracking in the throat. Was advised (rightly or wrongly) 2225 was not so savage. Have lost speed but accurate like a dart @3K and 2225. Did not try anything else to chicken to tinker what is not broke. Using only 162 A-Max

The Original Striker
    Id stay with the amax and the load you have now. How much are you going to gain by going to a 180?

My load has got 65grain RE22 and getting 3125 with the 162 amax according to the jbm drop. and I didnt get pressure signs until 68 grains
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I'm using 73gr 2225 which gives just on 3k with the amaxes. I wouldnt change, 223 is a good caliber to play with if your into tinkering

Whatever the 'net' says about change in length of a rifle round not comparing to a pistol as far as pressure, is bollox from my opinion.

When I put a Wyatts box in my RUM and lengthening the bomb, I had to step my load up by over 4 grs to get back to where I was before hand.

Maybe shortening, does bugger all but longer makes a huge difference from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Whatever the 'net' says about change in length of a rifle round not comparing to a pistol as far as pressure, is bollox from my opinion.

When I put a Wyatts box in my RUM and lengthening the bomb, I had to step my load up by over 4 grs to get back to where I was before hand.

Maybe shortening, does bugger all but longer makes a huge difference from my experience.
    Was that before, during or after you rebarreled it ?

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Either 22217 or 2225 work well with the 162gr really depend on what your rifle really likes the best at the end of the day.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Grain for grain I was getting higher velocities from 2217 in my 300 winmag, and the 2225 was super, super compressed, so fat that the bullet pushed itself out again, just a bit.

However, if you can seat wayyyyyy out there, the 2225 may well provide an advantage, but I am a bit fan of the 2217, KG uses it right down to .260 and up to 338 edge, and I intend to use it in my 6.5x284 as well.

Its really nice to only have one type of powder, so much easier, and 50 fps is neither here nor there for me

Chris

LinkBacks (?)

1. 14-08-2012, 07:19 PM