Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

auto prime tools

I seem to have misplaced my priming tool so am looking at replacing it (just to hurry up its 're-discovery) it was one of the old lee tools. I have heard the new ones are rubbish.
    the three options I can see are lee, rcbs and hornady. I like the tray fed tools. not into individual loading of primers into the priming port. what experiences have people had with the three options mentioned. my understanding is that the rcbs and hornady use standard shell holders rather than requiring specific ones for the priming tool and press
    Last edited by distant stalker; 07-01-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I can only speak for my Lee one, I've had it since I started reloading, maybe 4 years and .....not a single problem
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have an older RCBS where you have to change the shell holder. I recently got from Sinclairs a new type Lee and a RCBS with auto jaw ie no need to change shareholders. Still have to change plunger etc for small or lge primers though. Tried the Lee at the same time and promptly gave it away. The RCBS supposedly minimises the risk of a flashover by having a gate that seperates the primer being pressed from those in the tray. Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I have an older RCBS where you have to change the shell holder. I recently got from Sinclairs a new type Lee and a RCBS with auto jaw ie no need to change shareholders. Still have to change plunger etc for small or lge primers though. Tried the Lee at the same time and promptly gave it away. The RCBS supposedly minimises the risk of a flashover by having a gate that seperates the primer being pressed from those in the tray. Highly recommend it.
    RCBS sounds good. might have to place a Sinclair order

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    RCBS sounds good. might have to place a Sinclair order
    RCBS UNIVERSAL HAND PRIMING TOOL | Sinclair Intl

RCBS all the way, but the older lee ones were okay too except by the time you buy the special shell holders for a few different calibres it adds up to the price of an RCBS

I have a hornady does the job well, but the handle pivot disengages and it a pain?

The newer Lee ones with the square primer magazine are crap. If you can find one of the older ones with the round primer magazine, grab it.

I have an older lee , and a smart reloader one , the smart reloader seems a little easier to use.

Fulla
    i have the ergo prime by lee, i havnt used it much but it seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnumatix View Post
    The newer Lee ones with the square primer magazine are crap. If you can find one of the older ones with the round primer magazine, grab it.
    i have one sitting in TGA never been used in the box has shell holder for 44 mag if i was offered a fair price i would consider selling

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    When I heard they were changing to the new model, I brought a few of the old ones as they are sweet
    Think I have 4 of them now setup with diff shell holders etc LOL