Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ballistic data for hunting applications

Ballistic data for hunting applications

Hi guys been trying to get into shooting longer distance at the moment and I was wanting to know how people are doing it at the range it's all good and well using a ballistic app and getting the information you need but in the field it's a pain. What are tips to get set up with ballistic data to be able to shoot at different ranges and angles in a hunting scenario.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Strelock is a good app.

Enter you're load data etc and which scope you have.

Good to go.

Caretaker
    Knights armament “ bulletflite”

Measures angles as well
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

If your serious buy a kestrel and applied ballistics or your just fucking around.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    keengunNic likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

A simple drop chart attached to the rifle. A range finder that shows both line of sight, and horizontal range.

Also how long is that long distance piece of string?
    ZQLewis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    If your serious buy a kestrel and applied ballistics or your just fucking around.

And if it’s not a Nightforce Tikka or Sako you’ll miss iv done just fine over 1000 with strelock repetitively no fucking around
    25/08IMP, Mathias and dannyb like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    The simplest, but not the best, would be a rangefinder that does horizontal distance, and a CDS dial for your load.
    Range, dial, judge windhold, shoot - no phone or app involved.

This, no faffing around required used with a mil dot or bdc type reticle is the quickest accurate way to do it. Wind is still guesswork unless out have a weather station.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetite View Post
    A simple drop chart attached to the rifle. A range finder that shows both line of sight, and horizontal range.

Also how long is that long distance piece of string?
    Borris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    And if it’s not a Nightforce Tikka or Sako you’ll miss iv done just fine over 1000 with strelock repetitively no fucking around
    So with a comment like that points to a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    What your saying is that you don't need to know wind speed temp humidity and pressure.
    You also don't need your latitude or coriolis effects or spin drift or aerodynamic jump.
    I presume you know about elevation correction factor for your optic which is critical for using accurate data In you won't get the result you expected.
    If you would like to learn any of this stuff it's been my game for a very long time and i enjoy sharing my knowledge .
    Long range is a new fad that most don't understand the finer nuances of it.
    Andy

BRADS and BSA270 like this.

So with a comment like that points to a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    What your saying is that you don't need to know wind speed temp humidity and pressure.
    You also don't need your latitude or coriolis effects or spin drift or aerodynamic jump.
    I presume you know about elevation correction factor for your optic which is critical for using accurate data In you won't get the result you expected.
    If you would like to learn any of this stuff it's been my game for a very long time and i enjoy sharing my knowledge .
    Andy

I wouldn’t mind a catch up to be fair Andy il flick you a PM

Andy

No hate buddy but it really depends what your idea of long range is and what your purpose is.....to some, shooting a deer at 500y is considered "long range" and whilst all the factors you mention do have an impact @ 500y in good calm conditions a range finder with TBR, good balistic calculator or dope chart made with accurate load data is plenty enough to take a deers vitals out.....However if you want to shoot targets at 800y, 1000y, 1500y, 2000y + then the factors you mention bcome exponentially more important the further out you shoot.
    I'm not in any way saying your wrong I'm just saying that "most" lay hunters idea of long range is generally a lot less than a competition/professional (aka sniper).
    So much depends on this interpretation and one thing is for sure, practice and become competent at the ranges you wish to shoot live game at, that is how you will build an understanding of how you and your rifle shoot at different ranges.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

In a hunting scenario I input temperature and pressure and wind when I get to my glassing sight. When I see the animal I just need range and angle and re-check wind. It doesn’t take long. Best way is to have a mate that does the data entry while you get set up for the shot.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    No hate buddy but it really depends what your idea of long range is and what your purpose is.....to some, shooting a deer at 500y is considered "long range" and whilst all the factors you mention do have an impact @ 500y in good calm conditions a range finder with TBR, good balistic calculator or dope chart made with accurate load data is plenty enough to take a deers vitals out.....However if you want to shoot targets at 800y, 1000y, 1500y, 2000y + then the factors you mention bcome exponentially more important the further out you shoot.
    I'm not in any way saying your wrong I'm just saying that "most" lay hunters idea of long range is generally a lot less than a competition/professional (aka sniper).
    So much depends on this interpretation and one thing is for sure, practice and become competent at the ranges you wish to shoot live game at, that is how you will build an understanding of how you and your rifle shoot at different ranges.
    Just so you understand the figure Kelton mentioned was over 1000 yards which is where every thing I talked about applies.
    Even trying to hit the vitals in an animal at 500m you have to be on your game.
    To me it is all about ethical shot taking knowing that your bullet is going to cause a quick death to your chosen animal.
    I have the same feelings about head shooting.
    Nobody ever talks about the jaw they shot off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I wouldn’t mind a catch up to be fair Andy il flick you a PM
    Sounds good!

Just so you understand the figure Kelton mentioned was over 1000 yards which is where every thing I talked about applies.
    Even trying to hit the vitals in an animal at 500m you have to be on your game.
    To me it is all about ethical shot taking knowing that your bullet is going to cause a quick death to your chosen animal.
    I have the same feelings about head shooting.
    Nobody ever talks about the jaw they shot off.

Totally agree, sorry going a little stir crazy being stuck at home on house arrest
    andyanimal31 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT