Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Barnes 53gr vs 55gr

Just loaded a batch of 53gr with various powder weights for my mates 222. Subject to him finding the most accurate load i.e 23.5gr to 25gr 748 we want him to test them out initially on some fallow.Is there any measureable difference hunting wise to these 2 Barnes projectiles given only 2 gr difference?

Its just the polymer tip thats different isn't it? The 55 will have a slight Bc advantage, terminal ballistics will be very similar.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Sorry, we are talking about ttsx and txs pills here? Just checking because Barnes also make varmint grenades which are definately not suitable for fallow.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

No just TSX. Planning to write to Barnes again for info.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    No just TSX. Planning to write to Barnes again for info.
    Just had a closer look, only difference is the 53gr is a boat tail, makes seating easier and aids bc, the 55gr is a flat base so slightly trickier to seat and the extra 2gr makes up the bc. Ballistically they will be so close it is really just academic, terminal performance will be so close you won't notice it.

The 53gr bt will be easier to load.

If you go to the 55gr TTSX bt there will be a slight bc advantage, this is the pill I would use!

They recommend a 1:9 twist or faster for the 55gr TTSX btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Just had a closer look, only difference is the 53gr is a boat tail, makes seating easier and aids bc, the 55gr is a flat base so slightly trickier to seat and the extra 2gr makes up the bc. Ballistically they will be so close it is really just academic, terminal performance will be so close you won't notice it.

The 53gr bt will be easier to load.

If you go to the 55gr TTSX bt there will be a slight bc advantage, this is the pill I would use!
    They did not give much info apart from referring to their reloading page. Awaiting my mate's results. He has been catching 18/19lb snapper on 4lb line today[1/2 hr to get to boat]