Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel temp

Fulla

barrel temp

how do you guys manage your barrel temp when shooting a heap of test loads, or in general.

i have a sendero, when i go to the full bore range, those guys shoot 12 rounds in a row. (strings)
    when im there i shoot six at the max. usually less. then it gets a fairly long rest/cool down.

if your sighting your rifle in, to get the first cold shot bang on, you would have to wait ages, for it to be fully cold again. i normally just get it on, even if its warmish.

if im shooting test loads, i shoot 3 then have a ciggy, or walk to the target, have a drink, whatever. then another three etc. no set time, i might feel how hot it is though. i used to put the rifle back in my truck to cool down in the shade. it was hot last time and i just left it out in the breeze, mostly so it was still in the same position.

so i have no real set way of doing it. do you, what do you do, or maybe you dont care you dont think it matters?

Re: barrel temp

I never rape my barrel five shots max. Its got a can so it heats up quicker, to aid cooling i always pull the bolt out and remove supressor the bolt probly does naff all but makes me feel better. Duno what the experts reckon but thats all i do

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I work on my hand theroy, I work with steel and pre heat temps everyday.

100degc for the average person not used to handeling hot stuff will be able to hold firmly a bit of steel for about 2 seconds.
    150degc is a quick firm hold and release with the burn sensation setting in after release.
    200degc is quick swipe smears fingerprints instantly and a hold of any sort is blisters guarenteed.
    above that skin usually sticks to metal

I dont shoot much compared to most on here but work on my measure of 150c being max before a rest.

Internal temps will go way way way over this with rapid fire!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

i do the same , remove bolt and suppressor if rifle has one , and stand it up on the rack or still on the bench with a bit of wind heading down the bore

I tend to get the shell out & bolt open ASAP after the shot, then have a look where it went, write down the speed & pressure (if using the pressure gear).
    I reckon that way the barrel gets the best possible chance of getting the heat out of it between shots.
    I also make sure the rifle is in position & ready to fire before I chamber a round to ensure the bullet doesnt pick up heat out of the chamber & effect its performance.
    After 5-8 rounds I give it a rest, shoot another one etc until it cools down.
    I take the bolt out & turn it 90 degrees to the wind if possible, so the wind blows into the action & over the barrel, it seems to cool quicker that way.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    I stand mine up as well (bolt out) - max 3 shots (thats all I care about)

Standing up creates a chimney effect

Fulla
    and so for you guys you just feel it again to see how hot it is before you continue?
    how long do you think, 5 mins? im probabley 5 mins if im trying to get through something, and it was just three rounds in the last string.
    i keep meaning to take another rifle to use while im waiting, otherwise its hard standing around doing near nothing.

judging by cams temp feeler gauge, im probably about 100-125 deg, when i stop. (normally! im feeling a bit guilty about the other day)

Like Greg said get the bolt out suppressor off(if one) and in the breeze if possible in the shade.

If its cold I get 9 or so slow paced shots before its getting hot(IMHO)
    Less on real hot day.
    This is with "standard non magnum cals"

Others will have differing opinions Im sure.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I tend to get the shell out & bolt open ASAP after the shot, then have a look where it went, write down the speed & pressure (if using the pressure gear).
    I reckon that way the barrel gets the best possible chance of getting the heat out of it between shots.
    I also make sure the rifle is in position & ready to fire before I chamber a round to ensure the bullet doesnt pick up heat out of the chamber & effect its performance.
    After 5-8 rounds I give it a rest, shoot another one etc until it cools down.
    I take the bolt out & turn it 90 degrees to the wind if possible, so the wind blows into the action & over the barrel, it seems to cool quicker that way.
    i was hoping you were going to say something, i seen a heap of test rounds with your edge, in your recent video. its kind of where i was struggling the other day. leaving the rifle in the ready to fire position. but out in the open on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    I stand mine up as well (bolt out) - max 3 shots (thats all I care about)

Standing up creates a chimney effect
    thats a good point heat rising and all.
    i guess all this depends on barrel contour too. (in general)

Good thread,

I'm keen to hear peoples thoughts as well. I was shooting some reloads yesterday and was having a cool down period of 10 minutes between each group. Bolt taken out as well.

AB Precision
    Depends how long you want you barrel/throat to last?

An what cal your shooting?

Im a shot every few min so it dont get hot even more if its not mine let them stay cool

I usually have 3+ rifles working at the same time - that way none of them heat up too badly

Re: barrel temp

Yea its a good plan even take along the 22 for a plink . With a range we set up on a mates farm we have the clay thrower and shoddys going in between strings.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I work on my hand theroy, I work with steel and pre heat temps everyday.

100degc for the average person not used to handeling hot stuff will be able to hold firmly a bit of steel for about 2 seconds.
    150degc is a quick firm hold and release with the burn sensation setting in after release.
    200degc is quick swipe smears fingerprints instantly and a hold of any sort is blisters guarenteed.
    above that skin usually sticks to metal

I dont shoot much compared to most on here but work on my measure of 150c being max before a rest.

Internal temps will go way way way over this with rapid fire!
    200 smells cool too
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I was shooting with a mate on saturday and it was 99degees f about 34c.
    i left my serendo under a jacket with half the barrel sticking out and it was to hot to hold onto before firing.

it didnt end up getting uses as i went to clean the scope and the end of the cleaning pen was melted and smeared all over my scope.

We where shooting 3 shots then bolt out and in the shade / under jackets and clothing.

My ammo was in my bag which supprising was kinda cool still and he had some of his in the chiller bag.