Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tanqueray
  • 2 Post By gundoc
  • 2 Post By Gibo

Thread: Basic Die recommendations

Basic Die recommendations

Starting to put a kit together. I have nearly 300 cases to full length resize.
    I have always had Lee dies and nearly always just trimmed and neck sized however nearly all these cases I have now have been fired through another rifle.
    I see RCBS , Hornady, Lyman , Redding and Lee all do a two die basic set.
    The Lee RGB set is half the price .
    Am I gaining anything by going to the other brands ?
    Any advice , thoughts, recommendations and one eyed opinions appreciated

Years ago when I started reloading it was with the most basic of Lee kits, then to onwards to a Lee die set. However I was not happy with that die set, and went to other more expensive brands. Just recently I again bought a Lee set of dies and they are a great improvement on the early ones and I must say I am impressed with them so far. As for longevity, I cannot say.

In my opinion the Lee RGB sets are fine, I use one in 223. Some people grumble about the lock rings, can’t say I’ve had issue with them moving. I don’t reload large quantities or have need to do so at high speeds, I just plod along with a single stage press and a tumbler of whiskey.

Unless you’re into long range or competition shooting, and can justify buying a $400 competition die set, I don’t know why you would. The only reason I don’t have more Lee die sets is because they don’t make them in some of the more obscure calibres.
    viper likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

I started out with Hornady dies and had no issues. Now I use Lee collet neck dies and Redding body dies

I have tried them all over the years. The current Lee dies are very good value for money. I use the Lee Ultimate dies for my .223 with excellent results. Viper, you are welcome to come and have a shufti at the various dies I have (Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Pacific, and Lee).
    veitnamcam and viper like this.

Get a redding three die set, seat, fl and nk
    BRADS and shooternz like this.

I own Lee, Forster, RCBS, Hornady. Lee are fine. The lock ring is a non issue if you’re using a quick change bushing - just tighten them up on the insert and you’re laughing (put it in the press and lightly tighten then up with a spanner). Alternatively, just double them up - the lock rings are stuff all.

I do like Lee stuff. It works a little bit differently, but once you understand that, then they’re a no brainer for the money.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Starting to put a kit together. I have nearly 300 cases to full length resize.
    I have always had Lee dies and nearly always just trimmed and neck sized however nearly all these cases I have now have been fired through another rifle.
    I see RCBS , Hornady, Lyman , Redding and Lee all do a two die basic set.
    The Lee RGB set is half the price .
    Am I gaining anything by going to the other brands ?
    Any advice , thoughts, recommendations and one eyed opinions appreciated
    Don't buy any.
    Use the likes of the Hornady headspace gauge or chamber some. and check where your at. They may have been fired in another rifle but there's a good chance they will also fit in your rifle.
    In saying that I full length size, but you don't have to just because they were fired in another rifle. If it Chambers, neck size and fireform.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Don't buy any.
    Use the likes of the Hornady headspace gauge or chamber some. and check where your at. They may have been fired in another rifle but there's a good chance they will also fit in your rifle.
    In saying that I full length size, but you don't have to just because they were fired in another rifle. If it Chambers, neck size and fireform.
    Mate from what I've read and watched using fire formed brass from another rifle is a bad idea, it can lead to some serious head space issues and not regarded as good practice.

Yep go the RGB for now and get flasher as / when / if you need to.
    All you want to do is Full length size the cases as you state and that is what they will do. All dies will do that simple process. Use a GOOD lube ( and I would recommend imperial sizing wax ) You use very little of it as you go. Just a guess but it would probably do over 2 thousand cases.
    A lot of people rave about lee collett dies but that would come later for you as you need to F/L resize those suckers first.
    You could get a collet 3 die set instead but I would recommend seeing the collet die in action first. I have tried them and dont like them / cant get used to them. ( just my personal experience.)
    If you want to get all fancy about accuracy you may find the wandering sleeve that lee use on their seating die is not the greatest but thats a personal thing for you to decide, like i said get the RGB first and start along the road.

.222 die sets come up on TM all the time . . dont buy new

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1616587205
    this one has FL & Neck die

buy whatever set you can & get loading, worry about the best brand later . . . R
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Mate from what I've read and watched using fire formed brass from another rifle is a bad idea, it can lead to some serious head space issues and not regarded as good practice.
    That's why you measure first.

I get what your thinking. I think of it like this...
    Your not putting a 270 into a 30-06. That would be a huge case stretch. With big problems.

Your 223 factory rounds are made to fit in any Sammi spec 223 chamber. From there they stretch to the chamber.
    So a once fired round has already stretched to someone's chamber. If it fits in yours, it's already had the bulk of it's stretch, it's going to be closer to your chamber than a factory round. Or at least no smaller than a factory round.
    So double check by doing the usual measurements and away you go, if you just want to neck size.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they measure up near exactly the same as your fire formed brass.
    As you stated you only want a f/l die because of this brass then will go back to neck size. That's why I said you probably don't need one.
    But by all means, go buy one.
    Last edited by bully; 02-05-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Have various different die sets including the RGB Lee dies which do a good job, they all seem to work ok but if price has anything to do with the purchase go Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    .222 die sets come up on TM all the time . . dont buy new

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1616587205
    this one has FL & Neck die

buy whatever set you can & get loading, worry about the best brand later . . . R
    Cheers mate, already on the watch list

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    That's why you measure first.

I get what your thinking. I think of it like this...
    Your not putting a 270 into a 30-06. That would be a huge case stretch. With big problems.

Your 223 factory rounds are made to fit in any Sammi spec 223 chamber. From there they stretch to the chamber.
    So a once fired round has already stretched to someone's chamber. If it fits in yours, it's already had the bulk of it's stretch, it's going to be closer to your chamber than a factory round. Or at least no smaller than a factory round.
    So double check by doing the usual measurements and away you go, if you just want to neck size.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they measure up near exactly the same as your fire formed brass.
    As you stated you only want a f/l die because of this brass then will go back to neck size. That's why I said you probably don't need one.
    But by all means, go buy one.
    Thanks for the input @ Bully, appreciated , I don't 100 % agree but I can see where your coming from.