Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 2 Post By johnd
  • 2 Post By johnd
  • 3 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By Jhon

Thread: Bench Mark 8208 powder and the .303

Bench Mark 8208 powder and the .303

Hey guys, we are about to start reloading for the .303 and I see ADI has some data using 8208 for various weight projectiles from 125 gr - 180 gr which should cover us nicely. We already use 8208 and believe it or not looks like I can get hold of some more. Has anyone used it for the .303 ? Any feedback, thoughts very much appreciated. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Hey guys, we are about to start reloading for the .303 and I see ADI has some data using 8208 for various weight projectiles from 125 gr - 180 gr which should cover us nicely. We already use 8208 and believe it or not looks like I can get hold of some more. Has anyone used it for the .303 ? Any feedback, thoughts very much appreciated. Cheers
    I have not tried 8208 in the .303 yet but it is in the right burning rate range for it, Back in the day before ADI powders the top powders for the .303 were IMR 3031
    and IMR 4895; 8208 falls right in between those two I have used a lot of it in the.222 and .308 it is very good and accurate, Grab what you can of it the Distributor
    has none on there shelves I bough the last one.
    Pete_D likes this.

I am just about to do some developement with it and AR2206H.... got the rounds loaded but cant get to the range.
    I have used GRT to work out the math for me with 174 grn Boat tails.
    Last edited by johnd; 29-09-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

Thats good to know @shooternz that 8208 is in the ball park of other good powders for the 303 and @johnd be sure to let us know your results. Cheers Guys

I think I am a month away from a range visit, unless I can get someone to pull the trigger for me. Last time I went I had to go home in the anbulance, as I stupidly broke my ankle
    The quantities for 8208 and 2206H are very similar.
    Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I think I am a month away from a range visit, unless I can get someone to pull the trigger for me. Last time I went I had to go home in the anbulance, as I stupidly broke my ankle
    The quantities for 8208 and 2206H are very similar.
    Yes they are very close 8208 is excellent for powder throwers I load a pile of .223 Rem on my Dillon 550 with it very consistent
    powder weights.
    johnd, Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

Greetings All,
    I have been using AR2206H in my .303 rifles for reduced loads with good results. I am changing to BM8208 for my .223 as it takes less space I would happily use either in the .223, .308 and .303. BM8208 is definitely faster than AR2206H and very close to the old AR2206 from recent chronographing. Either would be fine.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Pete_D likes this.

Yes, I just wanted to have the ability to change from one to the other depending on supply. Not just reduced loads either, the modeling shows 2550 fps for both with 174 grain projectiles is easily done without huge pressure.
    Pete_D likes this.

Anyone using 8208 in 7mm08.
    Reading the above it sounds like it would be suitable

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    Anyone using 8208 in 7mm08.
    Reading the above it sounds like it would be suitable
    Apart from folks specific experience, ADI publishes data online from 115gn through to 175gn projectiles for 7mm08
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Apart from folks specific experience, ADI publishes data online from 115gn through to 175gn projectiles for 7mm08
    Sweet I'll do some reading sounds like it could be my one powder to do all maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    Sweet I'll do some reading sounds like it could be my one powder to do all maybe
    Maybe. Just a question of finding a good node for your rifles..there are far more experienced reloaders on this forum than me. But I've found its almost a waste of time, not to mention components, to do incremental tests starting with the min charge. Or with the max for that matter. In a time of shortages try starting with just two, the two down from max. In my own experience they almost always give me the best accuracy at acceptable velocity. Not always always, but nearly. If your intent on bettering the result, you can always go up or down. But if you just want a good killing load with decent accuracy there is a strong likelihood that one of those two will do the job.
    Pete_D likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Thanks for the input guys.....but alas where I hoping to pick some up more is indeed out of stock. Usual story hey, I've got some left but was hoping to save that for the 6.5 Grendel, if I do load some for the 303 I will be sure to report back.