Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Gur1
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Gur1
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Avopik

Thread: Bergara 45/70 load recipes what you got?

Bergara 45/70 load recipes what you got?

Hey all I'm collecting load recipe's to play with if anyone would like to share some be great.
    Have checked the forum (cant find much) and have been playing this game for a while so will use what I'm given appropriately cheers.
    Gun is a B13 1/20 twist and she is a Lead chucker only using cast projectiles through her.
    looking for info on mostly slow and big 500gr and or +
    My 400gr load is a shoulder breaker and good fun shoots ok but open to more info about fast stuff as well.

Hi JD300, I started casting for the 45/70 about 18 months ago and wish I had started 20 years ago , love it , have had great success with the Lyman 457122 mould and the ARSENAL 460-435 WFN , my mix gets me a 348gn from the Lyman mould and 438gn with the WFN and 50gn of 2208 behind the Lyman and 42gn of 2208 behind the WFN I can have the holes touching at 80 yards most of the time and 10 gn of trail boss behind the Lyman is the ducks nuts as well , hope this helps .
    Moa Hunter and T.FOYE like this.

Wicked mate thanks yes that does help alot I have been considering the 2208 which I think I will do I use it in other rifles as well makes it easier.
    I also have been looking for molds where did you get yours from?

Got the Lyman mould off TM and the other from the states , 2207 is ok as well but it’s better with jacketed bullets , I have a ba13 like you which I shoot jacketed bullets in and a henry single shot for the cast ,love them both but the little henry gets out far more .

Quote Originally Posted by Gur1 View Post
    Got the Lyman mould off TM and the other from the states , 2207 is ok as well but it’s better with jacketed bullets , I have a ba13 like you which I shoot jacketed bullets in and a henry single shot for the cast ,love them both but the little henry gets out far more .
    I have been using imr 4227 which chucks them hard and fast lol is the henry the same twist rate?

45grns of 2208 behind a 400 grn cast is a good stout load and not too heavy on recoil.....
    black powder is loads of fun....a duplex load with a wee bit of smokeless 5-6-7grns underneath the black powder makes it fun and much cleaner burning and much easier to clean rifle afterwards.
    home brewed black powder is dead cheap...and the pressure levels with trailboss are way higher than reduced smokeless load....and you can do same thing with black so I cant see point in using it myself.
    JD300 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yep same twist barrel had been cut to 18 inch
    JD300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    45grns of 2208 behind a 400 grn cast is a good stout load and not too heavy on recoil.....
    black powder is loads of fun....a duplex load with a wee bit of smokeless 5-6-7grns underneath the black powder makes it fun and much cleaner burning and much easier to clean rifle afterwards.
    home brewed black powder is dead cheap...and the pressure levels with trailboss are way higher than reduced smokeless load....and you can do same thing with black so I cant see point in using it myself.
    And where per chance could this home brewed black powder be acquired from?
    I have just acquired my first muzzleloader Good times ahead.

Moa Hunter and JD300 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Oh I see you make it yourself very cool mate would love to do that

Hi Guys; to carry on with this thread alittle ; I also have just purchased a stainless Begara in 45/70. My son & I do lots bush hunting & would like to try the 45/70 in Sub loads . Trail Boss, 700X & Unique seem to be the "Go to" powders for this BUT..... if ya cant buy it ( & Havnt got any ) ya cant use it . "Lever Performance Data " from America suggests quite a few other powders... of Interest is Red Dot & Hodgdon Titegroup .... both of which are immediately available Broncos outdoors Tauranga ... Question: Has anyone out there tried these two powders in reduced loads in 45/70 & still alive to tell tale of how they went ? Even better ; if they used a 405gr cast bullet ( Delta Mikes ) as well.? I have the dacron for a filler available and have reloaded for 8 plus other calibres. The 300 Blackout is the only one that i go to subsonic in tho..Any Help much Appreciated & used with appropiate disclaimers

The heavier bullets fill the case up more so I guess it helps you stay away from fillers. I'm yet to find any trailboss so I can't comment on what that's like.

For the posters before - get an mp mould. Light-years better imo.

Hiya ; if anyone interested ive progressed on the load development ; Winch large rifle standard primers, starline brass, 405 gr Hard cast Projectiles in begara 18" barrel in all loads. Be careful & your rifle could be completely different of course Red dot powder ( Broncos Outdoor Tauranga ) @ 12 grains with dacron filler gives 1,060 fps & very pleasent to shoot. This powder is alot more fluffy than Hodgdon TiteGroup & fills case up more, Hodgdon Tite group ( Broncos ) @ 12gr powder & dacron filler gives 1,135 fps ave . Noisey of course being just into supersonic & abit terrifying with it only looking like a teaspoon of powder held by filler in bottom of case.. im doing 11gr & 10gr when able. ( Hornady Subsonic came out of my rifle & my Chrony @ 1,170 fps & Quite Noisey..) 45 grains 2206H with 405 gr gave 1,500 fps & Hit steel Targets ( & Shoulder ) with Authority . The 45/70 had delightful grouping on all different 5 shot groups too. I checked 1st 3 shots unsuppressed on the paper for tumbling then screwed suppresser on for noise evaluation . Of course it then shot to different point of impact but super imposing those shots over the unsurppressed shots gave an idea of initial grouping of loads.
    Micky Duck and rossi.45 like this.