Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Berger vld hunting 155gr 30cal

Berger vld hunting 155gr 30cal

G,day all was after some opinions on these as a hunting round out to 350-400 mts, have loaded some for my 308 with a 18" barrel but yet to chronograph them, getting good accuracy out of my first attempt with 2206h but was a pretty mild load, was hoping some one may share some load data, have only started out in reloading so still learning the ins and outs of it all Cheers

Hey Dan. I had not replied before now as a figured someone who had actually used these projectiles may give you a first hand opinion. I have loaded a 308 with the 155 VLD shooting F-Class but it was in a 31" tube. Strangely I have deleted the load data from my excel work book. However I use the VLD Hunting Bergers in my .284 and 7mm WSM. They can be a very effective hunting bullet but placement is reasonably critical. An A-Max is more forgiving My goto for the 308 was the SST and I had a great run with them. Your short barrel has likely reduced your velocity down to the 2600 mark depending on your load. Quick Load is suggesting 2650 fps with 44grn of 2206H. Given your short barrel you want to stay with the quicker 2206H powder and after the conversation I just had today with DED I'd stay away from Reloader powder. Winchester 748 may also be worth a crack and just may give you another 50 fps over the 2206H.
    I use a combination of Quick Load and Shoot v6 (Ballistics App/Software: Shoot! v6.0 (Download FREE demo version!)) which Id highly recommend. Its ballistics are not quite as reliable as the Knights I Phone app but plenty good enough to compare different bullets etc. Frankly in my opinion a 308 with an 18 inch barrel will have its arss hanging out making a 400y shot and I also think the weaker A-Max will be a better pick as the Berger needs some speed to work at its best. At 400y the deer will see the bullet coming and walk out of the way.
    Dan4 likes this.

I have not used the berger.
    I have shot a fair few deer with the 168 amax from 308 launched at 2750, it was very effective at 3 4 and 500y on large red deer, I had a few issues with lack of penetration at less than 300y with them and ran 130ttsx for 0-300y.

Am now running a 178 amax at 2975fps (different chambering) and still early days but so far they are performing well if a bit messy up close, for so little difference in weight and sectional density it is like they are completely different bullets.

The reduced speed of the 18" barrel may make the 168 amax a better do it all projectile....
    Dan4 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sneakywaza I got
    A lighter bullet of stout construction going fast,:3100fps(130 TTSX - 125 Accubond) or a heavier but frangible with better bc, going slower: 2650 - 2750 (168-178 Amax), with a shorter barrel you put yourself in the wrong weight range at the 150 mark, shy on BC, shy on outright velocity, shy on SD. 2206h is a great powder for shorter barrels with heavier pills, H335 is a great powder for the lighter pills, W748 is a good allround .308 powder, but slower than the other two.
    Dan4 likes this.

Good info chaps.
    Dan M

Danny; this may not be what you are after... I have a similar set up. I use the 130 TTSX and H335 (49g). I've shot a reasonable amount of deer and pigs with it, all one shot kills including one at 400 yards. All bar one huge red stag have travelled no further than 20 yards.
    I've also got some 165g SSTs that I was going to load for the roar. I just wanted something more for up close and personal.
    I really think the .308 is the ultimate reloaders calibre, there's so many projectile options!!!
    Dan4 likes this.

I use Nosler 168 BT in my 18" .308 at 2500fps from 2208. Works bloody well, 400yds is piece of piss. Never tried 2206 with it though sorry.
    Dan4 likes this.

Im using the 168 vlds with 43.5 of 2206h. Getting awesome accuracy and ok speed of 2600. Only shot one stag since owning rifle and that was at 30 odd yards. Feet in the air on the spot.
    Dan4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Im using the 168 vlds with 43.5 of 2206h. Getting awesome accuracy and ok speed of 2600. Only shot one stag since owning rifle and that was at 30 odd yards. Feet in the air on the spot.
    What length barrel you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    What length barrel you running?

Thats good speed, I might try it out.

Gibo likes this.

Funny thing was i made three rounds up for a laugh at adi book max and mag length and they all touched so that was that

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Funny thing was i made three rounds up for a laugh at adi book max and mag length and they all touched so that was that
    That's the mighty 308 for ya

Sorry to jump on ya thread Dan4 but guys what would your recommendation be out of either 168 BT vs the 165 SST on deer? Just looking for performance at normal 308 operating speeds @20" tube within the more typical 100-220m.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Sorry to jump on ya thread Dan4 but guys what would your recommendation be out of either 168 BT vs the 165 SST on deer? Just looking for performance at normal 308 operating speeds @20" tube within the more typical 100-220m.
    168BT being the Noslers? Either, will be pretty much the same. Go for the most available or cheapest, whatever floats your boat. The Nosler 168BT have been on back order for a bit.
    Danny likes this.