Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Berger vs Accubonds

Berger vs Accubonds

Afternoon,

At present I shoot the 140gn Bergers in my .284. I don't generally use the heavier projectiles due to mag length restrictions. Now I am due to load some more rounds up and was just curious about the 140gn Accubonds and how people have found them. Would they perform any better or worse than the bergers? Obviously I reaslise that different rifles prefer different projectiles, but I was just keen to hear of peoples experiences if they had used them.

I will have a look to see if you can get them in the sample packs to try if the general consensus is positive.

Cheers
    Scott.
    Been Upto likes this.

The two are as far apart as its possible to be, in terms of bullet construction.

Berger = soft and highly frangible
    Accubond = hard (bonded) and very high weight retention.

This can make a really big difference in how the animal reacts when hit. Accubonds can be super effective, or a bit disastrous, depending where they strike - not enough resistance like too far back behind the shoulder and they will over penetrate and fly straight through the beastie, with a narrow wound channel. Whereas the frangible bullet has a much higher chance of connecting with something important that outs the animal down faster.

Personally I like a partially fragmenting bullet, and am not that keen on bonded bullets. But I do know for sure that the Accubonds fly very well and are reliably accurate, as a good buddy only uses Accubonds in his three rifles. Just the way he rolls. He shoots for the front shoulder and I’ve only seen him have the one fail with Accubonds, too far back.
    mawzer308, stevodog and Rees like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    The two are as far apart as its possible to be, in terms of bullet construction.

Berger = soft and highly frangible
    Accubond = hard (bonded) and very high weight retention.

This can make a really big difference in how the animal reacts when hit. Accubonds can be super effective, or a bit disastrous, depending where they strike - not enough resistance like too far back behind the shoulder and they will over penetrate and fly straight through the beastie, with a narrow wound channel. Whereas the frangible bullet has a much higher chance of connecting with something important that outs the animal down faster.

Personally I like a partially fragmenting bullet, and am not that keen on bonded bullets. But I do know for sure that the Accubonds fly very well and are reliably accurate, as a good buddy only uses Accubonds in his three rifles. Just the way he rolls. He shoots for the front shoulder and I’ve only seen him have the one fail with Accubonds, too far back.
    Thanks. That's the sort of stuff I was after. I'm tempted to give them a go as I mainly shoot for the shoulder as well and if they are reliably accurate then that is the main point for me...not that the Bergers are un-accurate.
    There was someone on this forum that had good sucsess with the ballistic Tips in their .284, But I just had some bad experiences with ballistic Tips in my 25-06 that made me wary....

I used 140 AB in my 280Ai and 284 and because I shoot f all deer and because I always shoot for the engine room and or shoulder I always found them to be an excellent bullet, I’ve also used the TTSX and GMX and although they killed I had walker/runners; maybe 10-100m but still not as effective as the ABond or the boringly reliable SPoint that are synonymous with dead on the spot shots.
    Bergers have always been the best in any rifle I’ve had for bucking wind and accuracy. Easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

I use 140ABs as a bush load in my 284, Great for up close out to 250 yards. They’re not a long range pill as @Flyblown has stated they are a tough bonded pill. 150 gn partitions are better & while true not long range they have a frangible front section, bc is crap but still good to 300 or 350. 154SSTs would be good do everything round or the new 150 AMAX? Some guys run the 150 BTs have not used these myself, but guys using them seem to get good results. Another option in the 145 Speer HC SPBT.

I love the AB and the LRAB in my 6.5's (x.284 & x68 RWS Magnum)

I have found them to be great on animals, last being a nice 9pt Red, smashed his brisket head on at 211m, he turned left and died standing, without a word of a lie, that was a 129g LRAB from the 6.5x.284

Just load tested the 142g LRAB in my RWS, 5 load trial produced this, 3 shots 100m, yes they are accurate...

Name:  20181129_192008.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  4.78 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    I love the AB and the LRAB in my 6.5's (x.284 & x68 RWS Magnum)

I have found them to be great on animals, last being a nice 9pt Red, smashed his brisket head on at 211m, he turned left and died standing, without a word of a lie, that was a 129g LRAB from the 6.5x.284

Just load tested the 142g LRAB in my RWS, 5 load trial produced this, 3 shots 100m, yes they are accurate...

Attachment 100945
    Very correct - all 5 missed the center!

Just.....
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I use 140ABs as a bush load in my 284, Great for up close out to 250 yards. They’re not a long range pill as @Flyblown has stated they are a tough bonded pill. 150 gn partitions are better & while true not long range they have a frangible front section, bc is crap but still good to 300 or 350. 154SSTs would be good do everything round or the new 150 AMAX? Some guys run the 150 BTs have not used these myself, but guys using them seem to get good results. Another option in the 145 Speer HC SPBT.
    I just had a look on the Hornady site. They were not showing a 150gn A-Max..........

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I didn’t say that!

kudu, hornady have dropped the Amax and split it into 2 lines. the ELD-m for target work and the ELD-x for hunting.
    From what I have read (only shot a couple of goats with them). the m line is basically the old amax with a New tip. Like the bergers they make a good long range hunting bullet. The X version is like the AB's, a good short to medium range hunting bullet. have not used the X's but read that the heavier jacket does push up pressure so a lighter load may be needed.
    zq

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I know this is a bit different to your question. I tried some 160gn A/Bs in my rem mag they grouped really well and awesome on gongs but sadly that was all they were good for. After I lost the 4th deer with them just penciling through and not enough blood trail I went to 150gn B/Ts and bang flop or 20yds from where the animal was hit was a dead deer with massive blood trail. The A/Bs did work on Thar. I wouldn’t go back to them. I’m now using Bergers in another 7mm and swear by them.
    Kudu likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

I bounced this thread of my Accubond shooting mate last night, see what he says. He’s not a forum type so I’ll just paste his whatsapp replies.

Use Acubond Long range for everything now. in the 65 Lap very good which is what me n Karen used the most last season. not as tough as regular AB and better combo of penetration and breakup.

AB long range doesnt mean long range required to make it work. Just softer thats all. Very similar to eldx.

All but 2 deer last season bang flopped drt with ABLR. Cant remember EVER getting drt with regulat AB.

Would prob only use regular AB on real heavy red stags or sambar now in the 3006.

Deep pockets need tho.

I’ve had good results with accubonds in 308win and 270win out to 300m-400m, the closer the quicker the kill.
    Better still is the Long Range AccuBond, they are where it’s at a great all round bullet from Nosler projectiles. When I had my 270win was running 150gr LRAB’s, dropped many deer at the 400m-700m with the farthest being 818m. The bullet was still doing 1600fps and energy at around 800ft/lb and smoked goats a lot farther.
    At close range they shed a lot of weight but mushroom up really well and don’t blow to bits like Ballistic tips.
    Can’t comment on Berger I’ve only used them as subsonics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    I know this is a bit different to your question. I tried some 160gn A/Bs in my rem mag they grouped really well and awesome on gongs but sadly that was all they were good for. After I lost the 4th deer with them just penciling through and not enough blood trail I went to 150gn B/Ts and bang flop or 20yds from where the animal was hit was a dead deer with massive blood trail. The A/Bs did work on Thar. I wouldn’t go back to them. I’m now using Bergers in another 7mm and swear by them.
    I used the 140gn ones in my 270 for a while, everything I shot died but quite a few deer needed follow up shots due to pass thru’s, I reckon you need to go to a lighter weight (140gn for a 7Rem mag/130gn for 270) and drive them FAST and hit bone as they are a really hard projectile.

I’ve had good results from the 129gn LRAB in a 6.5
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

If you are taking longer shots often stick with the bergers. Tge 150 eld x might be worth a look as well. Good bc