Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By clickbang
  • 4 Post By Timmay
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By 7x64
  • 1 Post By tetawa

Thread: best reloading manual

best reloading manual

had the Nick Harvey manual, thinking of getting the same again but thought I would ask.
    Thing I liked about the above manuel was all the powders etc were available in NZ.
    Abit worried if I get something else half the components or powders won't be available.

I use the ADI powders website

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    tetawa, mikee, zimmer and 2 others like this.

All much of a muchness, better info on the net (and more uptodate)
    Norway, zimmer, steven and 1 others like this.

If you are only wanting load data, and not “how to reload” info just don't bother with the hard copy manuals. I get all the info I need online. ADI of course but their info is pretty projectile generic, Hodgdon's which is excellent and we can get most of their powders (ADI and Winchester), and Vihtavouri. I have also used Nosler online data for their Partitions etc and some, not all, of the powders are available. I have a copy of one of the original Speer manuals (45years old at least) and in a moment of weakness I thought I had better grab their latest from Amazon. Most disappointed with it. Latest cartridges are not in it so the book is not even a good cartridge reference. The info in some of the text is quite aged. They have basically churned out a reprint and called it a new version. Also looked thru Lyman’s latest and same deal, many latest cartridges missing.
    mikee likes this.

if you really want to spend some money have a look at Quickload. There's quite a bit of info on YouTube a nd online about the programme. It is Far more than the average reloader wants but if you to fanny you will have hours, weeks, months of amusement.

Tons of info put there, use multiple sources and cross check. I.e. Sierra data is generally quite mild compared to say hodgdon /adi. Check out the downloads section on here too, some older manuals but all good info. I generally look at about 4 sources before starting load development; you can usually see a pattern emerging. Adi vs hodgdon vs Lee is interesting too as the data is the same but often the details included are different (case, primer etc)
    mikee and steven like this.

Have the ADI booklets going back a few years, one thing I've noticed is the drop off of max loads with the same powder. Use their max loads as starting now.
    Bigal264 likes this.

Basically all my loading is with Sierra projectiles so I use there reloading data, has a huge variety of powders, print off what I need, and they'll answers any questions I have online...

interesting , thanks guys, Ive reloaded 600+ rounds but always used the Nick Harvey manual.
    It's really just recipes I am after, so maybe the internet is the way to go.

Yeap I always use stuff off the internet, ADI is good but as stated they are pretty conservative so I always start only a grain below their listed max load. Nosler is pretty good too

I always try to find 3 sources for a new load.
    1 from the powder manufacturer I'm using
    1 from the bullet manufacturer I'm using
    And 1 from a 3rd party like nick harvey or lynman. Then take the average of the 3 max loads call that my max load. For my starting load I drop back around 2 grains and load up test rounds in 0.3gr increments and go 1 step over the calculated max load. I usually find the max load is the most accurate and only shoot the over charge load if I see no pressure signs.
    I have a old nick harvey manual, a Hornady manual (e-book), and a lynman manual for my caliber. Adi and hodgdon data from online

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    interesting , thanks guys, Ive reloaded 600+ rounds but always used the Nick Harvey manual.
    It's really just recipes I am after, so maybe the internet is the way to go.
    Internet as in bullet and powder manufacturers websites!