Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Best single stage press (Which model)?

Best single stage press (Which model)?

Hi im looking at investing is a single stage press at some point..... I have been doing a fair amount of research and from what i can see the three stands outs are the Forster co-ax, the Rockchucker supreme, and the Redding big boss 2. I think the co-ax is a bit out of my budget. What is everyones opinions on the Rockchucker vs Redding big boss 2?. i have heard the Rockchucker can make a bit of a mess with primers but that can be fixed.

ebf
    Co-ax, it is in a different league.

Both the other presses are nice, nothing wrong with either of them.
    shooternz likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Cheers Ebf i have read alot of good things about the co-ax its an ugly beast.

I've got a Forster Co-Ax and a Redding T7 turret press.
    There's not much the Redding can't do and its way more convenient to use when reloading multiple calibres. The Forster is great for resizing big brass, everything else I do on the T7
    If you can afford it go with a turret press.
    shooternz and Max Headroom like this.

cheers for that, the biggest i will be resizing will be a 30nosler, what is the advantage of the turret press other than holding multiple dies? i have looked at the T-7 and it looks awesome, i am only reloading for three rifles when the 30nosler is finished.

I think the co ax and the T7 are in the same price bracket ....close
    I moved from BB2 to a T7 and really like it. There was nothing wrong with the BB2 and it is a great smooth press, they are probably at the top of the range for common single stages.
    And built in the US as opposed to many others now outsourced to China.

The other advantage to the T7 is the set and forget factor, theres something about the heft and operation of them that I like.
    shooternz and Tim Dicko like this.

just had a quick look on youtube at both models didn't find one reloading , do you have to hand load a primer into the cup ?
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

They both have on press priming, i think the redding you can get a magazine style priming tube also.

Cheers for that johnd, i think the BB2 may be the go for my budget. its a shame when companys send things to china to be made to become more competitive/ make more money. So the reloading quality was the same between the T7 and the BB2?

Sierra Bullets has a Redding T-7 that they loaded one million rounds on it and when tested it had zero run out and is as new. There are some news articles/press releases out there on it.

Yes the Rock Chucker makes a mess with primers. I think it's an ok press but I see a Redding in my future.

What I have found is with Redding you pay, but it's well made quality.
    shooternz and Tim Dicko like this.

I have a T7, the benefit to me is time, less mucking about changing dies.

When I reload 223 I use 4 dies: Resizing, M Die for flaring the case neck, Seating, and Crimp. I like to set everything up and have it running sweet at the beginning.
    duckdog likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

yeah thats impressive i havnt seen that article. i think the window on the big boss is quite a draw card being quite open. cry once a?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I have a T7, the benefit to me is time, less mucking about changing dies.

When I reload 223 I use 4 dies: Resizing, M Die for flaring the case neck, Seating, and Crimp. I like to set everything up and have it running sweet at the beginning.
    i can definatley can understand why you would have the T-7 with the multiple die setup. not sure it for me but maybe it could be good future proofing. I didnt think anyone crimped anymore. or crumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    Cheers for that johnd, i think the BB2 may be the go for my budget. its a shame when companys send things to china to be made to become more competitive/ make more money. So the reloading quality was the same between the T7 and the BB2?
    I havent really done any run out tests, they use the same ram and I think the stroke is the same length, they also use the same on board priming method. I would say the quality is the same. They do take a bit of run in time where the ram is a bit "gritty"

My BB2 went to a forum member, and it was probably just run in Well OK,.... well run in

Depriming is always a bit messy but with the "down the ram hole " that redding employs it is a lot cleaner .... maybe 1 in 20 will bounce back out of the ram, but if you dont use the onboard priming method then the hole can be blocked off with a bit of foam etc and then its like Colditz ( no one escapes )

Swapping between large and small primers is a bit of a fiddle. But if you only use one size primer then the on board would be OK.

Personally I use a bench mounted priming system that is easier than a handheld device.
    Tim Dicko likes this.

I have a bb2 and like it except for seating primers. I prefer seating primers with a lee primer seater which attaches to any press.
    I also have a forster co ax which is excellent but does not suit hornady dies with drop sleeves although these are ok in the bb2.
    johnd and Tim Dicko like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.