Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best Value Reloading Press

Best Value Reloading Press

Hi again

More questions. I’m based in Auckland and have to head into the shops to pick up some power and a press when allowed. Last time I reloaded the 284 15 years ago I just used the cheap LEE package which is $300 at reloaders and to be honest it worked fine and delivered good accuracy. This is the only press I have used so my sample size is one! Should I spend more? 100 rounds will last me a year as once my load is sorted I just use for hunting. Any advice??

Banned
    With all due respect,
    maybe if you have no particular interest apart from having your rifle shoot to it's potential,maybe just get some with the gear to do it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Hi again

More questions. I’m based in Auckland and have to head into the shops to pick up some power and a press when allowed. Last time I reloaded the 284 15 years ago I just used the cheap LEE package which is $300 at reloaders and to be honest it worked fine and delivered good accuracy. This is the only press I have used so my sample size is one! Should I spend more? 100 rounds will last me a year as once my load is sorted I just use for hunting. Any advice??
    If it worked for you in the past, it'll work for you now. 100 rounds a year isnt a lot.

Stick with LEE unless you get curious. In which case try something like an RCBS Rockchucker.
    Sideshow and outlander like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Hi again

Hey mate,

There's a couple of presses on Trademe, including a Lee one that would be worth a look. Also worth keeping an eye out on the Buy, Sell part of this forum as there can be some good stuff come up on there.

I got my whole setup off this page and it's done me really well so far.

Iv always used lee over a range of cartridges works for me

Quote Originally Posted by widerange View Post
    With all due respect,
    maybe if you have no particular interest apart from having your rifle shoot to it's potential,maybe just get some with the gear to do it for you?
    Can you do mine I hate loading

Lee press has been good for me.
    Their scales a bit average.

Banned
    Maybe?
    I enjoy it,especially if I get to shoot some of the bullets I make.

Quote Originally Posted by nevereadyfreddy View Post
    Lee press has been good for me.
    Their scales a bit average.
    That's the thing that I didn't bother with when I bought my LEE anniversary kit.

I got some Hornady GS1500 scales for a more accurate read on what I was weighing.
    Sideshow likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I got the Lee anniversary kit also. It's loaded a bunch of ammo for me for 5 different rifles. Have managed to produce consistent MOA loads for each without too much fuss. Like others have done I've updated scales and a few case prep tools but otherwise can't really fault it.

If your only doing 100 rounds a year I think I'd struggle to justify an upgrade. I'm tempted to get another press just to increase efficiency with a dedicated sizing press and seating press.
    Max Headroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    I got the Lee anniversary kit also. It's loaded a bunch of ammo for me for 5 different rifles. Have managed to produce consistent MOA loads for each without too much fuss. Like others have done I've updated scales and a few case prep tools but otherwise can't really fault it.

If your only doing 100 rounds a year I think I'd struggle to justify an upgrade. I'm tempted to get another press just to increase efficiency with a dedicated sizing press and seating press.
    If you really only do 100 rounds a year and it's in a quality rifle with a tight spec chamber ... you can't go wrong with a basic Lee Loader kit.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Thanks again. I did have someone loading for me over the past years but they have got pretty old and are based in SI so moving stuff around is expensive and a hassle. Primers were not seated properly in last batch so I need to move on. I also need a hobby as evidenced by going stir crazy this lockdown and hence all my questions. Funny enough my experience with the LEE scale last time was bad so I ordered a small Hornady digital one yesterday along with a neck sizing due as suggested in previous post. Sounds like I buy the LEE when I go get powder. Thanks all

Lee all the way, works well no fuss

Hi again

Hey @Forestry have you had a look at the book from Nathan Foster about reloading? He runs through all the different brands and the pros and cons in his opion.
    With only 100 rounds a year and if you want to keep the price down, space is an issue and you really want to get into it then the Lee Breech lock hand press might be the way to go. Its still produce the same as good as a brench press. But wont take up the space. Also there seems to be a better after market sales value on these if you want to up grade further down the track. You can still buy the shell holders and dies same as normal.

But as Muzza says in #15 if none of the above options tickel your fancy then buy factor rounds. If you buy a few boxs and find out which ones shoot best. Save all he brass and you can sell on here. Someone will take it.

Last Option is have a look on here and see if someone is willing to reload (That You Trust) for you. Obviously theres a risk in this if they are loading above max. But then you have already been taking this risk already.

The lock down wont last forever so you need to decide if you will have the time after its lifted or will you then be stuck with a load of reloading stuff that you dont have time to use.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers S
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

@Forestry I gather from your other post you are looking to reload 284win? Guess factory ammo is not an option?
    Sideshow likes this.