Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bipod affecting accuracy.

Bipod affecting accuracy.

Do any of you know if using a bipod can change the point of impact compared to using a rest or shooting from the sitting position?
    I haven’t tested this yet but have a thought that it might ie sighting in using a soft rest then using the bipod.
    I’m using one on my 22.

Not if its not attached to barrel
    On forestock - no diff than holding with hand
    A330driver likes this.

Was watching youtube on 7mm remag shooting out to 700yards. He reckoned he has 1moa lower off bipod than benchrest. Can't remember the video title as I watched too many.... he also said it's different for each rife.

Easiest way to find out is test it, set it up the way you will be shooting it. With a 22 I doubt it will be a huge difference but at least ammo is cheap to find out!

It depends on the bipod and the rifle I think. I've found rifles with soft/flexible fore-ends can be quite inconsistent with Harris style bipods - probably because the bipod is springy and you tend to lean into it, it loads up the springy bipod and flexible stock inconsistently (especially on uneven or loose ground). In some cases the stock can even flex to the point of touching the barrel.

I've never noticed that issue with a good rigid stock on a non spring-loaded bipod.

Shouldn't need to load pressure onto bipod with a 22 anyway though, its not like there is any recoil to think about.
    Moa Hunter and LRP like this.

Yep absolutely, it is minimized on a stiff frame/chassis but still evident. As you load the bipod you can change the tension on the bedding, alter the barrel harmonics and you also change the recoil impulse. The more flexable the stock the more noticeable the change. Even a change in shoulder pressure or hand position can effect POI. High recoiling sythetic stocked rifles are most prone to this IME.

On a low recoiling gun like your 22 it should be minimised but its always worth checking on paper.

I checked this with my 7mm08 in plastic stock and found point of impact was indistinguishable from bipod and sandbag/ front rest with rear bag so I use them interchangeably for sighting in . I prefer the sandbag system as I think grouping is a smidgeon better. They are around 1 moa.

Once I go to unsupported prone and sitting my groups are more like 3 moa. With either position using a rest like backpack or post it's more like 2 moa. So, again, a minor change in mean point of impact wouldn't be detectable. I'm very happy to use bipod to sight in even though in principle the point of impact could differ from in use hunting. I dont use a bipod for hunting, only for practicing.

Walking my rifle
    I zero all my rifles off a bipod and i shoot both with and without a bipod and dont see a change. I used to however back when i started using one, ive learned with my plastic stock rifles like my 270 T3x and my 243 Mossberg, pull the rifle in your shoulder and dont load the bipod, if you do it fucks around due to the flex in the stock.

With my walnut stock 308 and my aluminium chassis 6.5 it doesnt matter how much i load the bipod as long as its consistent.

They have very rigid stocks and the 308 has a good bedding job.

I would try by pulling the rifle in your shoulder and not loading the bipod too much and see what happens.

I shoot at NZDA Rotorua from time to time, happy to give you a few pointers on the range if you in the area.

Walking my rifle
    Other thing is i suppose, even thou i dont believe it as variance is usually a result of an improperly set up rifle.

If you are gonne be shooting off i bipod in the field then zero like that, if you are shooting off a bench in the field then zero like that

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    If you are gonne be shooting off i bipod in the field then zero like that, if you are shooting off a bench in the field then zero like that
    I don't know many people that pack in a bench!

As has been said, rifles MAY shoot differently with a bipod. I usually shoot "semi free recoil" and that works for me and mine. (That is not pulling the gun hard into the shoulder and letting it slide/flip off the front hand/rest) Others find that loading the bipod is more effective, or a firmer hold.

When testing ammo/zeroing I do off a bipod, then verify it with a few rounds from field positions, usually no adjustment necessary.

Each rifle is like a woman. Temperamental and with their own peculiarities. Some have nicer curves than others, some like a firm grip, some don't. Some run hot and you need to let them cool off. But feed em right and learn what they like and you're away...(and make sure there's no screws loose or you're in for frustration)

Banned
    How many people actually take their rifle, move the pressure points around on the forend and see if the POI changes? I do always.

On some rifles it makes a huge difference. The bipod puts huge stress on the bedding unless they feet are perfectly parrallel and perpendicular to the barrel, and on an even surface. The bi-pod acts like a lever and compounds any bedding issues.

5" change at 100m is not out of the question with a plastic stock.

It also depends on the bipod. I used a versapod for years and it was excellent because you could really load it up. Haris is useless. Then I just biffed the bi-pod all together and started using a backpack and sandbag at the range.

I’ll do a test when I next get a chance, since I use the bipod for longer (85 yards) ranges on hares I’ll use the bipod to zero the rifle then try a few shots using a padded rest.
    When using the bipod I use my right hand to control elevation at the butt end of things. (Yes, I’m a lefty!)

I have found holding the forend minimises the point of impact shift when shooting with/without bipods on light hunting rifles. they also tend to group better for me when i hold the forend (if i am shooting well and can keep still)

LRP
    Plenty of good comment ! Something else not mentioned is the way in which the bipod attaches to the forend. Now some experieced shooters reckon to have a 'loose' connection at the bipod attachment point. Or a swivel connection. What this alludes to is all about NOT loading the firearm with stresses. VERY important for consistent accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by LRP View Post
    Plenty of good comment ! Something else not mentioned is the way in which the bipod attaches to the forend. Now some experieced shooters reckon to have a 'loose' connection at the bipod attachment point. Or a swivel connection. What this alludes to is all about NOT loading the firearm with stresses. VERY important for consistent accuracy.
    Yeah its one of the things I like about the atlas style Bipod, they have enough play to load the bipod and allow enough travel to minimize for end hop without stressing the forend

I have found with a light rifle when shooting off a bipod, the "free" hands position can also make a change. I tried gripping the fore end just in front of the front action screw when using a bipod, made my rifle shoot far better than with it "clamping" over the scope objective.
    You never know until you try different positions etc