Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Brian Litz article on measuring COAL

Brian Litz article on measuring COAL

Here is the link.
    http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-cont...13/03/COAL.pdf

Makes interesting reading.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Good to know I'm doing something right.
    baldbob likes this.

ebf
    usual Litz writing style - clear, simple to understand and very good info.

to me this also shows the importance of keeping your dies clean to get consistent results.

which dies use neck bushings as opposed to the expander ball ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf wrote "which dies use neck bushings as opposed to the expander ball ? "

While there are a number of manufacturers that produce bushing dies the one that most Kiwis know are the Redding Type S bushing dies which are available in either neck or FL size versions, the FL bushing die is the most widely used. These take standard Wilson bushings or the Redding ones, steel or TiN coated, carbide bushings are also available but only in 6mm and in a very narrow range of sizes.
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"

I have TiN 7mm bushes. Not just for 6mm. Redding ones
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

kiwijames wrote "I have TiN 7mm bushes. Not just for 6mm. Redding ones "

Redding Type 76 TiN bushings are available in a whole range of sizes from 0.185" through to 0.368" in 0.001"" increments.

You can find them here: Neck Size Bushings | Reloading Dies at Sinclair Inc

CARBIDE bushings are available in 6mm sizing only from 0.258" to 0.2595", unless you get someone to custom machine them for you.
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"

ebf
    someone want to have a go to explain (in idiots language) the differences that happen during re-sizing between:

expander ball sizer
    bushing sizer (Redding S)
    collet sizing die (Lee)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    kiwijames wrote "I have TiN 7mm bushes. Not just for 6mm. Redding ones "

Redding Type 76 TiN bushings are available in a whole range of sizes from 0.185" through to 0.368" in 0.001"" increments.

You can find them here: Neck Size Bushings | Reloading Dies at Sinclair Inc

CARBIDE bushings are available in 6mm sizing only from 0.258" to 0.2595", unless you get someone to custom machine them for you.
    Aaah I should have read properly. Cheers
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Expander ball sizer reduces the neck to less than the desired size then on the upstroke the expander ball is pulled back through the neck and opens the neck back up to the desired size.
    Bushing sizer pushes the neck down to the desired size.
    Collet die squeezes the neck down against a rod of the desired size.

There are all sorts of arguments over which is best. Depends on whether you are shooting reds at 30 yds in the bush or rabbits at 800 yds.
    Generally expander ball dies are suppose to give the most run-out (neck of case not in alignment with rest of case) as the expander ball can pull the neck out of alignment.
    Bushing sizers give less runout, but only if the walls of the neck are the same thickness, usually you need to trim the neck to get even wall thickness.
    Collet dies are supposed to be very good for minimal runout, but some don't like them.

ebf
    thanks stug

so with a bushing die the neck size is adjusted using different sized bushings ?

correct

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    someone want to have a go to explain (in idiots language) the differences that happen during re-sizing between:

expander ball sizer
    bushing sizer (Redding S)
    collet sizing die (Lee)
    Expander does as it says, and the ball in the mandrel is dragged through the neck to give a consistent size neck ID. Typically the neck is first swaged undersized in the die body. This method works the brass the most.
    Bushing does similar but to the outside only giving a consistent size OD by forcing the neck through a fixed diameter hole (the bush). A expander can be fitted to a bushing die to straighten any major dings (making it similar to a standard die just adjustable).
    Collet also sizes internal neck ID by a collet (splines) forming the neck around a fixed OD mandrel. Single step with no lube required. Clean and typically very concentric.
    Less work in the neck is considered better. Neck tension is possibly one of the most important variables with brass prep IMO.

R93
    I never use the expander mandrel when sizing cases, just the bushing. I have little to no run out and low ES on the final product that way.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I never use the expander mandrel when sizing cases, just the bushing. I have little to no run out and low ES on the final product that way.
    When you drop em on the floor and ding the neck in you need to put the expander in .

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    When you drop em on the floor and ding the neck in you need to put the expander in .
    Maybe if you were not so friggin tall, ya might not drop them as far. My floor is lined in my reloading facility, never dinged a neck by dropping them.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.