Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree32Likes
  • 9 Post By andyanimal31
  • 4 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By yeah_na_missed
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 7 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By TeRei
  • 4 Post By Southerner223

Thread: Browning xbolt superlite 223

Browning xbolt superlite 223

Just purchased new Browning Xbolt superlite 223 16", looking at putting a DPT overbarrel suppressor on, what's the go to factory ammo for consistency, with the ability to pack good punch for reds when needed? Any tips or guidance welcomed. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Demo Dan View Post
    Just purchased new Browning Xbolt superlite 223 16", looking at putting a DPT overbarrel suppressor on, what's the go to factory ammo for consistency, with the ability to pack good punch for reds when needed? Any tips or guidance welcomed. Cheers
    To Pack a punch on reds don't use your rabbitgun

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    jakewire, tetawa, mikee and 6 others like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I understand it's not the ideal calibre for anything of great size, plenty of cannons in safe just after something to get my young fella started, goats and maybe the odd yearling.

The Norma 55 grn Barnes ammo would be good but ideally you need to hit some bone. Otherwise the Rem and Winchester 55 grn are fine with lung and neck shots. Just keep your range down.

Sounds like a cool little gun. The 16" barrel is a limiting factor but at sensible ranges I don't see a problem using it on deer.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Yikes! Ha ha!

There's a good thread on .223 on deer (I think it's even called '.223 on deer') that I have learnt a lot from, which is basically:
    1. know the limits of the round (effective range, impact ballistics);
    2. know where it needs to be placed in order to kill humanely, and;
    3. be prepared to let an animal walk if you don't have a clean shot at an acceptable range (<250yds).

There are a lot of experienced hunters on here who evidently use .223 to great effect. You could do a lot worse than to read some posts on here from Tahr, Brian and Micky Duck.
    Last edited by yeah_na_missed; 15-05-2022 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Getting names correct...
    Demo Dan likes this.
    bunji likes this.

Thar shoot a lot of animals..please listen to what he saying...if you look through entire .223 on deer thread.....summed up...
    #1 pick your shots....be prepared to let animal walk...
    #2 keep range down....little pill =little energy...fast is good.
    #3 be prepared to shoot again.
    #4 chose ammunition carefully...your point of aim will depend on this choice,same as any calibre but just oh so much more so with .224
    yeah_na_missed and Demo Dan like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    And here we go again.
    I'm not a prolific deer shooter.
    Opportunity, laziness, the fact we actually aren't that fussed on Red venison in our house, though Fallow is pretty good.
    Anyway, call it what you like and I would certainly never be able to speak against those that have the experience of shooting large animals with piddly little projectiles.
    I have shot and killed Red and Fallow deer, I have shot and killed pigs, same for the wallaby rabbits and hares.
    In the opinion of one that has actually shot fuck all deer compared to others on here.
    Use enough gun , that animal deserves the quickest lay down you can give it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ok...so a .223 is considered IDEAL SIZE for goats...a big billy goat is similar sized to fallow hind if not more solidly built...... fallow and sika are similar sized....
    its all about the 4 above.

A friend of mine bought a howa mini and must have found the most honest salesman in the country when he asked what ammo he recommend the sales man said we’ll start with the cheapest see if it likes it and work your way up . I can’t remember the brand but the first box he tried 55gn was $18 from memory and il be damned it shoots it lights out . He’s a very competent marksmen and has taken a fair amount of venison with that rifle now no point starting with the $50 box any way 55 is a good weight lead nose find what the rifle likes save some money and start at the bottom. I for one was surprised to here that was the advise from the salesman and a tactic I’d never thought of and certainly not what the salesman I dealt with back in the day recommended for me and my first rifle a .270Win he had me sold on some flash harry honady junk until one day it was sold out so I tried fed blue box and never looked back
    Micky Duck likes this.

Iv only shot 10 reds and a pig this summer but i dont use a 223.Used a 308 with good punch and skill.Big animals=big gun.Small animals=223 until you are a skilled shooter with a few years hunting under yr belt.Then pick on some small deer at close range,see how you go.
    Last edited by Trout; 15-05-2022 at 08:18 PM.
    jakewire and Demo Dan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Demo Dan View Post
    I load 55gr Barnes TSX in my mates X Bolt. He slays deer. Stags all go down.His gun does not perform with TTSX. Dont know why.
    Micky Duck and Demo Dan like this.

Whatever comes loaded with a 77 grain TMK. Apparently those bullets perform incredibly well on large animals.

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa...Ky12gKtp2f6xuo

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Whatever comes loaded with a 77 grain TMK. Apparently those bullets perform incredibly well on large animals.

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa...Ky12gKtp2f6xuo
    So long as it has a 1:8 twist.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    So long as it has a 1:8 twist.
    Roger

It works. Wouldnt recommend it as a deer rifle for a young fella to "pack punch ". There isn't alot of room for error as most of the above comments. Usually a neck or head shot and at close range is needed. Young fella might be better with something with one of your other rifles suppressed to build some confidence and have more room for "error"

This was PMC 55gr ammo. 30m shot. Not a big deer but didn't move an inch. 16inch barrel

Name:  IMG_20210803_220016_430.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  3.81 MB