Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By charliehorse

Thread: Buggered brass?

Buggered brass?

I have been playing around with RL17 and 150gr ELD-X in my 7mm08 with Lapua brass.

I have had issues with pressure in a few loads that have left a extractor stamp and loosened the primer pocket. When priming (on the press, not hand tool) there is noticeably less pressure required to seat primer than new cases.

Question is do I bin the cases? my gut feeling is yes? A few expensive cases are still far cheaper than damage to the gun or worse my face is my thinking.

How do you know when your brass is done apart form structural failures? Don't want to go there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    If you are loading hot, bin em early as they'll fail early and spectacularly. If you don't like your bolt face keep using em...
    Kinda what I suspected, I like my shiny bolt face.

Anyone wanna by some cheap lapua brass with easy priming feature?....

Think the bin maybe the place for them. Pretty sure i'll shoot better without wondering what might happen when i squeeze the trigger.

I remember reading somewhere that some primers are slightly bigger or smaller than other brands so supposedly you could change to a primer that's bigger than your current one to fill in the slack. Does anyone know if there is truth to this and or what brands are bigger than others?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    You'll know they are too loose when you can't fit the case in the shell holder Done that with RL17

Courtesy of @zimmer the other week @FatLabrador
    Primers And Pressure
    Puffin, Hunty1, Hutch and 1 others like this.