Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Jhon
  • 5 Post By novembersierra
  • 1 Post By T.FOYE

Thread: Bullet prices driving me to cast..

Bullet prices driving me to cast..

Well I already shoot cast that I buy from a couple of NZ suppliers, one who seems to be absent from the market the last year or so. I started with Pistol in 45ACP and 38/357mag, and now also use cast in 9mm especially for drills and practice. Copper washed FMJ such as Frontier product from Rusa and others is pretty competitive and the Blackhawk stuff from Delta Mike is well priced and more uniform product than my other suppliers.

So one thing leads to another and now I shoot cast in several rifle calibres. Until recently that was either experimental or for shorter range shooting in rifle calibres such as 30-30, 44mag, 45 Colt etc and a couple of forays into 303B and 308.

With more than a little indication of coming shortages I started building up a few supplies of factory. Looking at TM this morning I came across the prices being asked by this guy, they blew my socks off - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=...C-8862D34A0245. Sorry, I don't know how to make that URL shorter.

In a regional store last week I picked up a box of 100 Speer Hot-Cor 6.5mm 140gn for $59.95. There were also Match and GameKings on the shelf for this and other calibres, not many to be fair and probably won't be there for long. Yes there were some a tad over 100 bucks, most were in the $60-90 range.

For several years I've been steadily collecting casting equipment and lead. If factory prices for bullets is doubling, or more, I think I will be digging out the moulds and developing my boolit making skills. Possibly my eyesight will thank me for leaving flash factory projectiles to the long range chaps.

It's great to see that there's plenty interest in cast boolit shooting here. My first centrefire rifle was a Winchester 94 and rolling my own was just a natural move. Though my collection of calibres is now greatly expanded, I've never bought a premium bullet in my life and enjoy casting for them as much as shooting them.

Price rises and component shortages are nothing new. I have always tried to keep a stock on hand to provide a buffer in the supply chain and allow me to shoot when I feel like it. So my advice is keep collecting lead.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Here's 5 metres of gas checks for you. I'll get them in the post tomorrow.

Name:  30 cal checks.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  126.7 KB
    Last edited by novembersierra; 27-07-2021 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Formatting
    Tertle, NZ32, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by novembersierra View Post
    It's great to see that there's plenty interest in cast boolit shooting here. My first centrefire rifle was a Winchester 94 and rolling my own was just a natural move. Though my collection of calibres is now greatly expanded, I've never bought a premium bullet in my life and enjoy casting for them as much as shooting them.

Price rises and component shortages are nothing new. I have always tried to keep a stock on hand to provide a buffer in the supply chain and allow me to shoot when I feel like it. So my advice is keep collecting lead.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Here's 5 metres of gas checks for you. I'll get them in the post tomorrow.

Attachment 173654
    Wow! What can I say, thks! Yes there are some great posts on this and other forums re casting boolits. The beautiful thing about guns, shooting, hunting, reloading - enough to interest one for several lifetimes.

I you make a bunch of gas checked 300gn .258cal soft point I'm in!
    Jhon likes this.