Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shooternz

Thread: CAC 308 Brass

CAC 308 Brass

Anyone had experience with CAC brass.
    I got given about 460 cases from a guy that doesn’t load.

From what I understand, they were a surplus type load, but what was the brass quality like?

Name:  D67B1CDE-BC9B-41C8-93D7-C09739291813.jpeg
Views: 293
Size:  8.30 MB

Strong brass and free so weight sort it and make the best of it. Has a bit less case capacity than norma.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Try a few thru your dies and trim if necessary, prime a few, if pockets nice and tight, shoot a few. Never heard of brass problems in CAC's day, only "High Flyer" shotty ammo.

I'd anneal them as they're possibly a bit brittle with age. Was good brass when I used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
    Anyone had experience with CAC brass.
    I got given about 460 cases from a guy that doesn’t load.

From what I understand, they were a surplus type load, but what was the brass quality like?

Attachment 195849
    Best 7.62 brass ever made. Probably a bit age hardened so you should anneal. It’s probably ex NRA full bore brass that was reloaded up tom3’times by the factory for the clubs

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Best 7.62 brass ever made. Probably a bit age hardened so you should anneal. It’s probably ex NRA full bore brass that was reloaded up tom3’times by the factory for the clubs
    Not in those boxes that is new brass loaded hunting ammo, The NRA Fullbore ammo came in White boxes, It is good brass if a bit variable in capacity pay to weigh it into batches
    and anneal it like 6x47 says, I have a few boxes of them that I use for practise shooting lost count of the times loaded, It is made to Military specs so is thicker than most sporting cases.
    Cordite likes this.

Ive got 2 boxs (empty) of these in 308. Have been reloaded before and im usure how many times, if anyone after them pm me

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Not in those boxes that is new brass loaded hunting ammo, The NRA Fullbore ammo came in White boxes, It is good brass if a bit variable in capacity pay to weigh it into batches
    and anneal it like 6x47 says, I have a few boxes of them that I use for practise shooting lost count of the times loaded, It is made to Military specs so is thicker than most sporting cases.
    It’s the same stuff that came off the same production line. Good thick walled brass.

Give it a clean, trim anneal etc. Is this the kinda stuff that has a crimp on the outer pocket?

I use some still as well. Good brass, you are lucky.

It's not surplus, commercial hunting ammo.

Yeh, forgot to mention the weight variability. I had the luxury of a huge batch of which I sorted out about 400 in a mid-weight band. These saw a barrel out, over 5000 documented rounds.