Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Caldwell Precision Chronograph

Caldwell Precision Chronograph

Getting back into reloading and I’m wanting to test velocity when I ladder test with new loads. For $279 at Reloaders this seems a great deal so what’s the catch? I was also considering the lower spec magnetospeed. I see on on TM buts is nearly the price of a new one now. I just want the velocity and I can work out Everything else with a calculator. Thanks

Go for the magneto speed. The accuracy is exactly the same as the higher unit and you don't have to worry about light conditions that can plague the optical units like the Caldwell. The only draw back is some rifles show a change in impact and accuracy with them attached to the barrel, I just do my load development in two stages.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

I'll second that - go with Magnetospeed. I have the cheaper one and it seems adequate. Chronographs are a pain to set up and one day you will shoot it. perhaps a Lab Radar when you win the Lotto?

Thanks for the advice - if I win lotto I won’t be worrying about a chronograph. I’ll be buying a South Island high country block (would have to be a very big win)

Where is the best place to buy a Magnetospeed from?

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    Go for the magneto speed. The accuracy is exactly the same as the higher unit and you don't have to worry about light conditions that can plague the optical units like the Caldwell. The only draw back is some rifles show a change in impact and accuracy with them attached to the barrel, I just do my load development in two stages.
    Do they work with suppressors? Or do they have to be a lot closer/attached to the barrel?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Do they work with suppressors? Or do they have to be a lot closer/attached to the barrel?
    Magnetospeeds work fine with suppressors, though there's is a limit on the diameter.

So in terms of cheap optical Chronos is the Caldwell better than the Prochrono? Both actually have good reviews. I do understand the feedback about the magnetospeed but I can pick up an optical when getting some powder.

Thanks

Gone but not forgotten
    I fired 5 shots over a magnetospeed and a Prochrono (the old non-digital version). Velocities for 3 of the shots were within 1fps. The other 2 were a bit different (will look up how much), but I'm fairly confident it was due to the Prochrono turning a bit sideways due to wind and muzzle blast.

Magneto speed sporters don’t work with surpressors, you need the flasher version, sorry don’t remember the model

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Hunter View Post
    Magneto speed sporters don’t work with surpressors, you need the flasher version, sorry don’t remember the model
    The V3 model works with suppressors (up to 2 inch diamter), but I see the sporter model doesn't.

You can modify the sporter to fit suppressors with some judicious milling.
    Probably not such a good idea if you still want to use without a suppressor though.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I fired 5 shots over a magnetospeed and a Prochrono (the old non-digital version). Velocities for 3 of the shots were within 1fps. The other 2 were a bit different (will look up how much), but I'm fairly confident it was due to the Prochrono turning a bit sideways due to wind and muzzle blast.
    Three shots were + or - 1fps, one was 10fps different, and one 50fps different.

I have a Caldwell ...it works well for me...also mates have borrowed it and it has worked well for them...follow the instructions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthman View Post
    I have a Caldwell ...it works well for me...also mates have borrowed it and it has worked well for them...follow the instructions though.
    So does this type of chrono prefer to be in the sunlight or the shade?

Overcast days are best,but if you set it up in direct sunlight it is best to get the unit in the shade of a tree or building or car..I have the model with lights on the sun shades but I have never had to use these...so quick answer...shade is best