Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Cartridge suggestions

Cartridge suggestions

Greetings,
    I've got a few requirements for a rifle and I'm feeling a bit lost in the rabbit hole of cartridge selection and was hoping for some guidance.
    The rifle is primarily for hunting, at a guess 200 rounds to acclimatize to it and then 25 rounds a year so barrel life isn't super important. Target species is Sambar deer in Victoria Australia, which legally means .270/6.8mm or greater with a 130+ gr bullet. I'm not the greatest shot or experienced shooter so I prefer things with higher BC and velocity, just so I have to compensate less. For reasons I don't particularly want to get into I will be using monolithic copper rounds, which means I really want velocities above 2000 fps / 610m/s at 400m for reliable expansion (I know some bullet makers claim lower expansion velocities, but I like to keep it conservative). I'm not confident in my shooting at living things past 400m, and I prefer 200m but like having some potential to stretch it out if I ever get better . I'd prefer less recoil, ideally sub 4.5 m/s in a 6 kg rifle. I will probably be using factory ammunition.

Calibers I'd considered were the .308, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag and the 300 WSM and the 300 PRC, but frankly the last two seem a bit more than I really need and with more recoil than I'd like. I have a reasonable 6.5mm Creedmoor setup that I would be using if it was allowed legally, so I'd like the new gun to cover some different space/capability which is why I am less keen on the .308, not commenting on better/worse, just feel that it sits in a very similar space to the Creedmoor (likewise the 7mm-08). I know I should consider the .270....but there is just something...not sexy about it in my head. I completely expect many of you to tell me to get past that and get a .270

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

.308 or .30/06 will fill your needs nicely with a comprehensive range of projectiles available in the 150 - 180 grain range.

Welcome to the forum.
    I would think a 300wsm would be the ticket for big sambar, the first 200 rounds would be expensive if buying factory ammo and save your brass for reloading if you go that route latter on.
    veitnamcam and tnankie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    ive chosen the 300wsm as my allround cartridge, am having to mentally adjust when using it but hey its a journey and a challenge
    you bet me to it.

Take a look at the 7x64 / 280 Rem 30/06 like the .308 case based cartridges on steroids with out the recoil , My pick would be the 7x64 with Norma ammo if factory is what
    you will be shooting most.

300 RUM

Yup, a .300 magnum, the .300 WSM is my pick.

You need to revise your minimum impact velocity up from 2000 to 2400fps.

Copper bullets are notoriously fickle when it comes to sufficient resistance to generate the kind of 2x calibre expansion required to kill a big heavy deer. If you put it behind the shoulder then you got a good chance that it will zip straight through. You have a much higher chance of poor shot placement with copper bullets because they have a lower BC than decent hunting bullets, not only do they shed velocity, but they get fucked about by the wind something terrible. Especially the light for calibre ones.

You need to go as big and heavy and fast as you can handle for sambar at 300m+.

I suggest you sit down for an hour and run through a whole bunch of factory ammo offerings with a ballistic calculator and see for yourself how much velocity they shed and how they compare with windage. You will see that the .308 Winchester is very weak at 400m with a 165gr copper bullet.

I would really like to know why you are choosing copper for sambar when there are so many better bullets for 300-400m big deer.
    GWH, Gibo, Woody and 3 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

300 WSM wi Limbsaver...job done !

Just grab the old standard Sambar cartridge the 30/06 ,killed more Sambar than any other over the years ,l have taken 8 with my Rem Mountain rifle in 06, but have used everything up to my 458M & the last stag l took was with my 325 WSM.

The 06 will do everything you want ,with easily found heavy loads as well if you want ,l just used proven over the counter 180grn Core Lokt & Barnes, Federal Bear Claw or Woodies & my favorite hand load was the 180gn Woodleigh, pushed along at just under 2800fps from memory ,these were both shoulders busters even on large stags, something important for anchoring them in the shitty, steep ,scrub they love. The loads were given to me by some of the top hound crews who have successfully hunted with them for years.

The 06 is also a fantastic performer with lighter bullets for everything else you have over there meaning you will get plenty of practice at off hand reflex shooting pigs etc which is a very important skill to have hunting Sambar in the bush & can only be gained with time behind the butt hunting.

I currently hunt with a 300WSM,300RUM & 300 Wby Mag & owned a 325WSM for years by all means get one if you want, but the 06 will do everything you want with a lot less kick & muzzle flash something that is often over looked as a lot of Sambar hunting ,when fast follow up shots in a sun blocked out forest will count. There is a reason l have used my 06 Mountain Rifle to hunt around the world with , it just works in the field with out any fuss.
    veitnamcam, Bagheera, GWH and 3 others like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

GWH
    Being that you are in Aussie and i dont believe you are able to use suppressors like we can here in NZ, If you are recoil sensitive, I would make sure you don't get a rifle that's too light, or look to make it heavier by putting weight into the stock.

Any sort of Magnum shooting a 160gr plus projectile in a standard hunting weight rifle is going to have recoil that most find pretty uncomfortable, here in NZ that's easily reduced by fitting an over barrel suppressor, something you won't be able to do. There are always muzzle breaks but they are not suitable for bush shooting situations.

Just something to think about...
    CBH Australia likes this.

For decent performance and availability of ammunition it is hard to go past the first cartridge listed, the .308. A non handloader runs the risk of having a rifle and no crackers at the most inappropriate times. Plenty of economical practise cartridges available too.
    Grandpamac.
    flock likes this.

Thanks everyone, some new ideas to consider. Actually I'm currently in Canada hunting everything with the Creedmoor and quite happy with it for me and will continue to do so when I head back to NSW. But for over the border excursions I'll need something legal there. Sadly GHW is right about the suppressors, but then the same applies in Canada.

The following are my reasons and they work for me; your situation might be different and lead you to making other choices.
    Copper:I hunt to eat and don't like lead in my food, I dont like the meat loss from lead bullets breaking up. Based on my North American experience I am also uneasy with the lead in gut piles, I know the science isn't conclusive but I feel better about not leaving it in the environment.
    CBH Australia likes this.

7mmRM, after many years a 308 user i wouldnt go back

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I'd choose a 30 06.
    Bagheera likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

They are all much the same I recently used a .243 and sacked red stags, two pigs @ 360yds 150&160lb, fallow buck and nothing walked more than 10meters. Chuck em in a hat and pull one out! but I’d say 30/06 that’s a fine caliber and a little less popular and it’ll fit your purpose ideally, chuck a Swarovski on top with a ballistic turret and you’ll never look back!
    Allizdog likes this.