Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By R93

Thread: Case Cleaning

Case Cleaning

Suggestions on supersonic cleaning cases after resizing as opposed to normal cleaning methods.

I purchased an rcbs ultrasonic but subsequently purchased a Frankfort rotory tumbler.
    Best reloading accessory I've ever purchased. If your loading large numbers of cases then that's the way to go.
    You don't even need stainless pins for cleaning. You just chuck in the cases, add a half teaspoon of citric acid and a squirt of morning fresh dishwash liquid and set for half an hour. They come out like new.

The only benifits of the ultrasonic are that you can also clean gunparts

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    I purchased an rcbs ultrasonic but subsequently purchased a Frankfort rotory tumbler.
    Best reloading accessory I've ever purchased. If your loading large numbers of cases then that's the way to go.
    You don't even need stainless pins for cleaning. You just chuck in the cases, add a half teaspoon of citric acid and a squirt of morning fresh dishwash liquid and set for half an hour. They come out like new.

The only benifits of the ultrasonic are that you can also clean gunparts
    +1 on the rotary. I only use my ultrasonic for parts cleaning now and it does a good job especially on AR bits. Never did that good of a job on brass and is no comparison to the rotary for results on brass.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Thanks for the input. Had a bit of brain fade when I said supersonic instead of ultrasonic. The Frankfort sounds like the way to go. Does it clean the insides including flash hole area etc. pretty well? So just the two liquids and nothing else and away you go?

Quote Originally Posted by BSA270 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Had a bit of brain fade when I said supersonic instead of ultrasonic. The Frankfort sounds like the way to go. Does it clean the insides including flash hole area etc. pretty well? So just the two liquids and nothing else and away you go?
    Yup pretty much. I add a bit of car wash as well, keeps the cases from tarnishing afterwards too. The Frankford Arsenal one has a great system with mesh ends for separating the pins from the brass after cleaning. This is a super handy feature: Separating 1200 223 cases from pins can be a total ball-ache, their magic system does it in a few minutes, which you do while rinsing anyway.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA270 View Post
    Brass comes out like new with insides shiny and flash holes perfect.

Some pistol brass is harder to clean the older it gets but rotary tumbling is the only way to go. You can also identify faults a bit easier with really clean brass.

I do get tarnished brass every now and then if not used for a while even tho rinsed thoroughly. Will try @Tommy idea to see if that will make a difference.

It's great to wash your fired brass first if you possibly get unwanted pickup brass mixed up with yours.. Like that twin flashole milsurp rifle stuff, or that weird maxx tech 9mm (or whatever the brand is) with the thick case walls and the step below the case mouth. The first step in culling it out before you put it through a sizer and damaging your gear is to be able to see it, and it's harder to see if it's dirty. I clean mine with or without pins first, half an hour, dry, and check for stuff to biff. Then lube and size, and back in with the pins. Dry it and it's ready to go, and super shiny.

Name:  27721217_10155339026821593_2110417457_n.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  31.3 KB
    Name:  27849613_10155339026781593_1582065962_n.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  48.3 KB
    Name:  27783274_10155339018156593_424893646_n.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  114.7 KB
    sparky1000 and Cordite like this.

Where did you buy your rotary tumblers?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Where did you buy your rotary tumblers?

I got a 3kg rock and jewelry tumbler from aliexpress. Think it was just over $100 nz dollars.
    Had it 3 yrs and it hasn't missed a beat with a lot of use.
    When/if it shits itself I will just buy another.

I can do 200 pistol brass or 100 223 cases at a time. Not as much capacity as a frankford one but suits me fine.

Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I got a 3kg rock and jewelry tumbler from aliexpress. Think it was just over $100 nz dollars.
    Had it 3 yrs and it hasn't missed a beat with a lot of use.
    When/if it shits itself I will just buy another.

I can do 200 pistol brass or 100 223 cases at a time. Not as much capacity as a frankford one but suits me fine.

Did it come with stainless media?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Did it come with stainless media?

No. Come with stainless pellets/balls tho.

I bought the pins separate from the states.
    Got 3kg of pins for 30 bucks and I am still on the first bag of pins. I doubt they will ever need replacing unless I lose them over time sifting them from the brass.

Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Brownells when they are on special

Thanks for the car wash tip. I shall try it.
    To remove pins (if you should use them) and also to thoroughly wash the brass post tumbling I would highly recommend the Frankfort arsenal basket which sits on top of a 20 litre bucket. You fill the bucket with water, drop the brass into the rotory cage which sits on the top and then turn the handle.

Another great invention which has saved lots if time and hassle

With the new Frankford Armory one, you don't even need the separate sifter, it has attachments. I had one I bodged up that I used for a few years, ran it in the lathe at work. Don't work there anymore so have been building another but needed one in a hurry so bought the FA one. Would highly recommend it. If I was to build another I would buy a FA drum separate (you can buy them), which isn't expensive, and make the drive mechanism.