Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Case new OAL magazine issue

Sako A7 OAL magazine issue

Hey guys

Recently worked out seating depth for loading projectile 10thou of from the lands in my Sako A7 7mm-08.
    As you can see in the photos, the ballistic tip is going to prevent loading any more than one round.
    Does anybody have any experience modifying the mag to accept the new bullet seating depth?

Looks to me like a job for the die grinder but if there is a tidier way id like to know it!

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Heisenburg; 04-02-2015 at 07:54 PM.

You don't have much room to work with, so at the most you could carve out 2-3mm from the front of the mag.

This seems to be a major annoying issue with the A7, as I'm loading 300WM for an A7.
    In that, the 180gn factory ammo touches the front of the mag already.
    Welcome to Sako club.

That second photo wasn't a good representation (poor angle)
    Have replaced with straight up n down shot.

Take it to an engineering shop and get them to mill it out.
    A 6mm cutter plunged in would do it easy.
    Will be far more tidy than grinding it out.
    DAF and 7mmsaum like this.

Caretaker
    Have you checked your rifles accuracy with your projectiles seated deeper to fit in the mag

Plenty of rifles have stunning accuracy with projectiles jumping 100thou plus to the rifling lands.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Do you know 0.010" jump will work? A mate hade the exact same rifle and it was very accurate with mag sized seating length.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Have acheived 0.87 of an inch at 100yards with stock seating depth.

Striving for better.

Will it eject a loaded round at that length?
    Malhunting likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

seat it deeper, job done.

or do it properly and get it neatly milled, its a no brainer really
    #BallisticFists

I dunno @heisenberg and this is a comment making a heap of assumptions for the 7mm08. But is there a reason why the projectile looks a long way out? Have you got or are dealing with a compressed load to put it at this particular seating depth.

If not my advice and I took the same having the limitation of a 162 Amax going into a 7mm rem mag she'll was to get it to a seating depth that just fitted inside the magazine. From there I loaded a ladder starting at mid value on the reloading tables to find a load that enabled me to have a non compressed load but also get the accuracy I was after. For me it was found in my tikka at 63gr of IMR 7828 which got me a 2895 speed value.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a set of digital calipers and realised the load I'd used for a while now 20 odd rounds was at (including balistic tip) 3.330" instead of the max oal of 3.290" whoops, so just trying to work out if I need to redo the load again at the desired length staying under the recommended Sami oal.

It shot .42 (to the centres) which I'm really happy with - but my point to you is can you dial things back a bit to get your desired accuracy you don't need to get caught up in the speed races that some do or too caught up on a particular jump or seating depth just work with your limitations - if they are limitations. Change powder if the cartridge is too full to seat inside the magazine is another suggestion.

Lastly as I was thinking i was going to have to do on the tikka t3 was to replace the stock and bottom metal to allow a magazine that would do this or single load potentially...

I've dialled back and that's worked very nicely for me!
    My 2c from another perspective...
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Have you checked your rifles accuracy with your projectiles seated deeper to fit in the mag

Plenty of rifles have stunning accuracy with projectiles jumping 100thou plus to the rifling lands.
    Yep what he said, i done some loads for an A7 7mmrm and it had a 240 thou jump roughly and i considered what you are proposing cos it was only 1.4mm to grind out and i had 4.4mm to use.
    End of the day i tried loading to the mag and loaded the powder in .5 increments until i found a load that worked(.713") with no pressure signs.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Will it eject a loaded round at that length?
    Good point right there, cos a 7mm rem mag wont!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    I dunno @heisenberg and this is a comment making a heap of assumptions for the 7mm08. But is there a reason why the projectile looks a long way out? Have you got or are dealing with a compressed load to put it at this particular seating depth.

If not my advice and I took the same having the limitation of a 162 Amax going into a 7mm rem mag she'll was to get it to a seating depth that just fitted inside the magazine. From there I loaded a ladder starting at mid value on the reloading tables to find a load that enabled me to have a non compressed load but also get the accuracy I was after. For me it was found in my tikka at 63gr of IMR 7828 which got me a 2895 speed value.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a set of digital calipers and realised the load I'd used for a while now 20 odd rounds was at (including balistic tip) 3.330" instead of the max oal of 3.290" whoops, so just trying to work out if I need to redo the load again at the desired length staying under the recommended Sami oal.

It shot .42 (to the centres) which I'm really happy with - but my point to you is can you dial things back a bit to get your desired accuracy you don't need to get caught up in the speed races that some do or too caught up on a particular jump or seating depth just work with your limitations - if they are limitations. Change powder if the cartridge is too full to seat inside the magazine is another suggestion.

Lastly as I was thinking i was going to have to do on the tikka t3 was to replace the stock and bottom metal to allow a magazine that would do this or single load potentially...

I've dialled back and that's worked very nicely for me!
    My 2c from another perspective...
    Whats your issue with compressed loads?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah great point there VietnamCam and no it catches, just.

Here is a photo to compare it to standard overall length.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    veitnamcam likes this.

Don't have a issue at all, a personal preference possibly?... One of my previous compressed loads wasn't that consistent in another cal - but hey that could have been anything.... But as you and I know confidence is everything in what sometimes can be a completed mind fuck around getting comfortable with a load.