Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By johnd

Thread: Case trimmer

northdude

Case trimmer

Need a case trimmer for 6.5 06 i usually just use the lee hand ones but they dont make them for this what else can i use as far as a hand one goes

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Need a case trimmer for 6.5 06 i usually just use the lee hand ones but they dont make them for this what else can i use as far as a hand one goes

Would 2506 work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northdude
    Was thinking that but the mandrel will be a bit loose in neck ao mightnt cut it square could possibly turn a 3006 one down

I was using case specific case trimmers and then ran into the same issue with 7.5 Swiss so bought a Frankford Arsenal Universal Case Trimmer and so far pretty happy.

If you need a trimmer and a neck thickness tool I would look at one of the mini lathe type ones that cover both jobs, RCBS Lyman Redding Forster all do one to varying degrees.
    Century and sinclair too.

Have the Forster which does a reasonable job of trimming to length. Also got the neck turning attachment for it which is bloody hopeless.

For my 7.5 Swiss, which I can of course trim to length on the Forster, I also bought a Lee 30.06 pilot and machined it to the correct dimensions for the 7.5 x 55.

Can therefore trim with either.

Unfortunately I don't think that is an option for the 6.5/06 though as the other Lee pilots in their 6.5 range are too short.
    Last edited by zimmer; 01-12-2019 at 05:26 PM.

That just goes to show there @zimmer i use the forster and found the neck turner pretty good, way better than something like a hand held hornady one i used before it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    That just goes to show there @zimmer i use the forster and found the neck turner pretty good, way better than something like a hand held hornady one i used before it.
    I found the Forster feed system poor and adjusting the amount of cut pretty hit and miss.
    I now use a K&M and although the feed is still manual it is much more controllable. The cut finish especially with a carbide cutter is great. Yeah, I see Forster has carbide too now.
    Also with the different angle cutters now available with the K&M you can do a far better job of cutting up to the shoulder. I think the Forster still uses a button shaped cutter?
    The amount of cut on the K&M is easily adjustable to small changes, lIke 1/4 thou if necessary. I use a DTI to adjust/set mine.

Every thing else about Foster's trimmer and their other products are generally excellent.

But if you are getting great results that's good.
    Maybe I just wasn't holding my face right
    Last edited by zimmer; 01-12-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Yes the downside of the forster is its manual / unknown adjustment, probably best set and forget. I turned a bunch of Mil surp .308 brass down for a 260 Rem, it was good on that, and adjusting a lot for different brass is a slow process, but usually only do it once.
    Honestly going to Lapua brass i dont neck trim..... yet.
    I find that the tongue on the left works best when feeding cases in then when winding back off I use a central tongue out and hanging method, the additional lube as saliva drools out is an added benefit.
    Another good tip is not to scratch your arse during the process as cases end up smelling funny when fired.
    zimmer and Sideshow like this.