Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Component shortage

Gone but not forgotten

Unhappy Component shortage

I happened to watch a Youtube video today on reloading costs by a guy in the US, posted two days ago.
    He said you can't go into a store and buy primers, and you probably can't go into a store and buy powder. He now gets his primers and powder from auction sites. He showed some comparisons of prices, shown below.
    It's not looking hopeful our shortages will end anytime soon...
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-31 204335.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  42.8 KB
    Moa Hunter likes this.

The next five years I reckon.
    keengunNic likes this.
    Use enough gun

ebf
    Competitive rock throwing here we come...
    7mmsaum likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Must be rough for retailers and wholesalers trying to stay in business

Funny how brass has not seen a huge hike, as it's the most expensive component to manufacture yet also reusable.

Reckon most of the inflation is due to opportunistic hoarders/scalpers who have no intention of using it themselves.

Hope they get burned!

The thrifty shoppers over in the US who aren't giving in to the scalpers aren't paying nearly as much as in your spreadsheet.

A bit like buying 143 ELD-X over here. Pay silly money on TM - or just wait and get them at retail, as and when they come back into stock... Only they get re-stocked far more frequently over there.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Gone but not forgotten
    The guy said there is still quite a bit of brass in the shops, and you can still get projectiles, but 6.5 cm ammo is scarce.
    We are probably better off for powder being close to the ADI factory, but I assume most of our primers come from the US, and even at the shops here primer prices are up over 50%

AT the 25 -30 deer I shoot a year Im good for at least 15 years

Gotta feel for the importer/wholesalers like Steves wholesale. Hard to make any money when you have no stock to sell and your supplier or shipping company delays your delivery. We need to be ready to pay higher margins to them in the short term to keep them in business. Hopefully things normalise sooner than we expect

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    The thrifty shoppers over in the US who aren't giving in to the scalpers aren't paying nearly as much as in your spreadsheet.

A bit like buying 143 ELD-X over here. Pay silly money on TM - or just wait and get them at retail, as and when they come back into stock... Only they get re-stocked far more frequently over there.
    Packet went for 3 hundie on T/M last night, will be a few more being offered me thinks. Maybe selling 6.5 cal in rifles is going to get harder.
    Borris likes this.

Was in a H&F recently and they had 2 tikka 6.5PRC on the rack, sales guy starts in about how great they are so I ask have you got any ammo for them…..”ah no” when will you some “ah not this year he begrudgingly said” Good luck selling those rifles then!
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

DBD
    I see some desperate fella paid $300 for a box of 143eldx on TM, hope he has powder and primers sorted. It's a bit sad that there are guys who managed to get some in the last delivery only to sell it on for a bit of a gain, why not just pass it on at retail. My reloading has shrunk down to 1 caliber only but can safely say I'm sorted for 900 rounds
    veitnamcam and CBH Australia like this.
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    I see some desperate fella paid $300 for a box of 143eldx on TM, hope he has powder and primers sorted. It's a bit sad that there are guys who managed to get some in the last delivery only to sell it on for a bit of a gain, why not just pass it on at retail. My reloading has shrunk down to 1 caliber only but can safely say I'm sorted for 900 rounds
    I reckon it’s shit alright. We are all in the same boat so if you don’t need them then just move them on for RRP? Opportunity for a dollar making people rip off their fellow hunters and shooters..

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I reckon it’s shit alright. We are all in the same boat so if you don’t need them then just move them on for RRP? Opportunity for a dollar making people rip off their fellow hunters and shooters..
    Yip there is alot of A holes out there.
    If I have components that others use and need and I have spare I always pass on at what I paid.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

The problem isn't solely just the scalpers though. Equal blame falls on people willing to pay that much.
    I get people get desperate, but if they werent willing to pay so much, people couldn't sell for that much.
    Take for example the many auctions for 143gr eld-x that sky rocket to $300, the only people driving up that price are bidders...

Off topic, but same issue with house prices. They are only high, because buyers are willing to pay that much, the excuse being, if I am not willing to spend that much, someone else will buy it and I will miss out...
    veitnamcam, tetawa, flock and 1 others like this.