Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cracked a die

Cracked a die

Ok as I mentioned in another thread i cracked a trim die today. I was surpised and did a bit of interweb looking, I dont see where it is a problem of known issues.

So I am resizing mil surp LC brass, it has already been deprimed and polished and annealed.
    I am using imperial sizing wax on the outside portion of the case.

I have had the odd ( very ) tight case but not enough to where the rim shears off ( and I thought this would be the case long before you could crack a die )

So this is all definitely .308 brass and like I said annealed and deprimed, any ideas wat caused it ? Apart from the thought of the die being to deep in the press, but then I still would have thought the press arms would shear their pins before a die cracks. And I know that this isnt the case as I had it set to just cam over.

I have written to RCBS to see what they say.

Name:  IMG_3207.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  459.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3209.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  463.8 KB

Too many weetbix
    bully likes this.

P38
    Most likely a flaw in the steel and or the Manufacturing/heat treating process.

I'm sure RCBS will be able to help you out with an explanation, although by the looks of the corrosion on die body it's had a hard life.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Yeah Pete, it was a "only used once" TM special. I've literally only sized 150 cases with it, but it does look as though its done a few aye!
    Buyer beware, and all that. So thats not my issue. Its just the uncertainty of how it could have happened.

Amazed this could happen. When you mentioned you'd cracked a die I wondered what you were on about. Hard life or not I'm pretty impressed that's even possible!
    Shootm likes this.

It will still work ok I have a FL die with a crack in the shoulder area doesn't affect resizing cases in any way, if RCBS replace it you are on a winner.

Very true Mauser308, i think LC brass is actually designated for MG use ( but I'm not a miltary officianado ) That was why I went the path of a purpose built resizeing / trim die
    After I have run it through this its destined for 260 brass. It certainly makes the pass through the 260 die a breeze.

But i would have expected the brass to move before the die did.
    tetawa likes this.

Thats very true. I measured these at around 52 grains cspacity. Compared to Rem 260 being around 55

Have had the same issue with some pickup brass (federal) fired in an ar 10 that were so tight going into a fl die i stopped and measured them, the bodies were 3-5 thou larger than std. I should have expected something from the extractor marks on the rim, so in the bin they all went.

UPDATE.

Looks like RCBS are sending a replacement.

Thats pretty good service, I think the die is from 1978, it has 78 stamped on it

John do you just want some RP 260 brass? Free
    johnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    UPDATE.

Looks like RCBS are sending a replacement.

Thats pretty good service, I think the die is from 1978, it has 78 stamped on it
    Have also had outstanding service from RCBS in the past.

Supplied me a complete motor and dispenser tube for my Chargemaster. The one they supplied was with a reduced sized dispenser tube that they were trialling. A sort of MacDonalds straw solution from RCBS.

Supplied me a sprew cutter plate for a double cavity mould. Plate had been butchered by previous owner. Explained that to RCBS and that I was looking to buy a replacement - sent me one gratis. Local importer didn't want to assist in any form or manner and fobbed me off.
    johnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    John do you just want some RP 260 brass? Free
    Thanks mate but I'm good to go now. got 200 neck turned LC brass ready to rock! The hard works all done ... shoulda got cheeky and asked for the die to be 260
    Gibo likes this.