Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dies

Dies

Do all dies fit any press or if I got the lee press does it have to take lee dies.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Dies

Almost all dies (except arbour) will fit. Can't remember the thread but its an imperial one. Lee, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady all the same in what you'll find off the shelf.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Thank you, That's what I was hoping to hear.
    VIVA LA HOWA

ebf
    Google is your friend : 7/8-14 (7/8" diameter, 14 threads per inch)

The breechblock press (I think this is the one in the kit you got Toby), has bushings, and those bushings accept the standard thread above...

cool, Haven't got it just yet. Went to buy it yesterday but didn't know how to work the internet banking crap so I asked mum she said she will do it later but didn't then came here and heard they don't open until the 3rd so will get her to do it tomorrow.
    VIVA LA HOWA

ebf
    Toby, be aware that there are two flavours of the Lee single stage press kits.

The Anniversary kit includes the Lee safety prime, so you prime on the press.
    The Breech Lock kit includes the Auto prime XR, so you prime off the press.

Comes down to personal preference, I prefer to prime on the press for both handgun and rifle cases. The levers on the Lee hand prime were too flimsy for me... Would be interesting to hear what other people's preferences are for priming on or off the press.

Make sure you know which version you are getting, ask them what priming tools is included.

The anniversary kit is $200 @ Reloaders.

Lee Reloading - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies

The second one down was what I was looking at.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Hi Toby I would look a something a little better than lee it comes down to $$$but my lee is very light compared to my RCBS. You can get a 1-1/4 threaded press that bushes down to the 7/8 handy if you decide to load bigger cartridges in the future. Lee dies can be a little weak as well if reloading a lot of ammo. You can also get quick change bushes for your dies for some presses real good,hornady do one I think

ebf
    Maca49, if you (or anyone else for that matter) have an unloved Lee kit languishing in your shed, I'd quite happily pay for shipping

It would get well used...
    falconhell, Dougie and Toby like this.

Lee can't be too bad if ebf would use it. I would say it will be good enough for what I want.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I have a Lee anniversary press, with breechlock quick change. Only reloaded about 2000 cartridges so far and havent found any weakness yet with the gear. Anything can be broken if you are rough enough, use good lube.

Toby - a bit further on die threads. 4 types (maybe more even...) 1 1/2" x 12TPI for 50 cal (you aren't quite into that yet are you?), standard 7/8" x 14TPI, the Australian Simplex dies (smaller than the 7/8" cannot remember the thread, they occasionally come up on Tardme), and 5/8" x 30TPI Lyman 310 dies (the old hand tool dies, rarely seen now). I still have Lyman 310 dies in 308 and 22-250 which were the original setup I started loading with. Commonly now when people refer to reloading dies it is the 7/8" variety. Re priming - my preference is not by the press but with a hand held tool. I use an RCBS but others love the Lee. You have a much better feel when priming with a hand tool than with the press.

Quote Originally Posted by compound View Post
    use good lube.
    Righto
    Name:  LUBE.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  4.9 KB
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Toby - a bit further on die threads. 4 types (maybe more even...) 1 1/2" x 12TPI for 50 cal (you aren't quite into that yet are you?), standard 7/8" x 14TPI, the Australian Simplex dies (smaller than the 7/8" cannot remember the thread, they occasionally come up on Tardme), and 5/8" x 30TPI Lyman 310 dies (the old hand tool dies, rarely seen now). I still have Lyman 310 dies in 308 and 22-250 which were the original setup I started loading with. Commonly now when people refer to reloading dies it is the 7/8" variety. Re priming - my preference is not by the press but with a hand held tool. I use an RCBS but others love the Lee. You have a much better feel when priming with a hand tool than with the press.
    Thanks zimmer, Not into .50s yet, Hopefully one day.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Maca49, if you (or anyone else for that matter) have an unloved Lee kit languishing in your shed, I'd quite happily pay for shipping

It would get well used...
    Im just loading some 45/70 and use it to seat my 577/450 From an engineers perspective you get what you pay for and My personal thoughts are they are made for price not quality - personal view, it achieves all I need. Same with Lee dies and their alloy projectile moulds.