Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By winaa

Thread: different brass for accuracy

different brass for accuracy

Hey guys,

Is it worth when developing a load to stick to the same brand brass?

Eg for my 7mmrm, I have 58 cases of hornady, about 80 cases of winchester and a few of somthing else.

Is It worth selling off the brand that's in needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    Hey guys,

Is it worth when developing a load to stick to the same brand brass?

Eg for my 7mmrm, I have 58 cases of hornady, about 80 cases of winchester and a few of somthing else.

Is It worth selling off the brand that's in needed?
    Brass type will differ in type of brass so your neck tension might vary and you will have difficulty to read the pressure signs as the softer brass might show extractor markings sooner than harder brass. And the case capacity will be different so your pressures wont be consistent so you will have challenges finding your nodes.

Go with one type, and pick the best quality one you can afford. Will save you a lot of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

northdude
    What are you loading for targets or hunting myself i mainly load dor hunting and havnt found mixed brass makes much difference for hunting accuracy and where i will loose the odd case others will say different
    Mooseman and Russian 22. like this.

Just my 2 cents, in my Lyman Reloading manual it recommends only using one batch of brass that you know the history of for a load you've developed. More a guideline than anything I think.

I know some brass brands have differing dimensions (case wall thickness for one) and internal case capacities so it makes sense to stick with one brand or even one lot, if you want consistency accross a batch you've loaded.

However, I wouldn't say sell the other brass you have but it may not give the same results when you use exactly the same load you've been using. For example a 7mmrm load of 72.5 grains of 2217 behind a 162ELDX in hornady brass might give different pressure and as a possible result more or less velocity (and possibly accuracy) in say the Winchester brass. I guess it's just one more variable so to keep it simple, for me I try to stick with one brand of brass until its no longer use able then either get more of that kind, or whatever I can get for cheap

there is usually quite a difference in case capacity between Winchester and Hornady, Winchester being a thinner walled case with a higher capacity.
    But the best way to tell is some time on the range, shoot a couple of groups on separate targets one with Winchester brass and one with Hornady brass. Note the difference in group sizes and more importantly the difference in group center from point of aim.
    If this is acceptable run with it if not cull the brass your not happy with.
    johnd likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial