Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Digital caliper recommendation ??? for comparator use

Question Digital caliper recommendation ??? for comparator use

Hey folks
    Popped in to Gunworks today and picked up a Hornandy Comparator set for using with Callipers.
    Gunworks don't sell the callipers nor could they recommend a set.
    so wanting to know any specifically that are recommended ? preferable that won't break the bank, happy to pay for quality but it's a bit of an unkown area for me so don't want to pay through the arse for something that is over priced or just way above the level I need ?
    anyone got any advice ? @gonetropo ?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Mitutoyo
    Starret
    Teng
    Kingchrome
    In order if price and quality
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I have a serious hard on for Mitutoyo calipers, but a digi set will run you at least $400. Maybe a dial caliper?
    planenutz likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I have a serious hard on for Mitutoyo calipers, but a digi set will run you at least $400. Maybe a dial caliper?
    won't be buying those

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I’ve got Mito gear but brought a cheap shitty set from supercheap years ago throwing around on the beach.
    They read exactly the same as the Mito do.

I think I have a couple of sets of new in box Frankford Arsenal ones laying around at hm also if you’re not time desperate.
    I have about 4 sets of verniers in use around the place too lol
    Cordite and dannyb like this.

Depends on how accurate you want to be. The cheaper chinese stuff is a bit less accurate than the Mitotoyo in the same way that a that a Toyota Hilux is a bit nicer than a Great Wall. Still does what it is asked but the Toyota does it that much better. I use a cheap set for measuring seating depth (among other things) and it is good enough for what I do, but for my brother inlaw and his engineering based job (Lathes & Mills etc) they wont cut it. His sets are all Mitotoyo, or Moore and Wright etc.

I am just a hunter wanting to measure seating depth for my reloads of my hunting rifle, not looking for match performance just sub MOA hunting rifle

Beware digital sliding calipers. They sometimes supply you decimal points that they are incapable of reproducibly measuring. You have to fork out a good sum to get some decent ones.

For measuring bullet length or cartridge OAL, get a $20 sliding vernier calipers. The tolerance required will be met and the sliding calipers are quick and easy to use for repeat measurements.

BUT for measuring something small and critical like bullet diameters, then a 0-25mm MICROMETER can be had for less than $20 on ebay, and a cheap micrometer will do better than a fair sliding caliper -- because the micrometer is the correct tool for that particular job. Micrometers give repeatable measurements and for that purpose have a click-over mechanism to ensure the measuring surfaces touch the measured objects with repeatable tension. They can also be re-zeroed, something that is difficult to do with a dropped set of sliding calipers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-25mm-0-01...zJsJ:rk:8:pf:0

As an engineer I'm all for Mitutoyo. I run a lot of their gear but the one thing I don't have is a good set of calipers... mainly because a while back somebody else decided they wanted my set more than I did. I presently have a set of Hornady digital calipers in my reloading cupboard and while they do the job and provide sufficient accuracy to enable you to load with some confidence I don't like them one little bit.

The Hornady units do not have an "auto-off" and worse, they automatically come on when you move them. Several times I have found them turned on just by the action of putting them away. Consequently I seem to need a new battery just about every time I pick the bloody things up. I would of course be happy to sell you these in order to fund a decent set for myself.

By the way - digital is not always better, especially when it comes to "reference" measuring. I agree with @Tommy - a reasonable dial set of calipers is always easier and faster to use in this way and they often make more sense too.
    Cordite likes this.

I was looking for digital for the bigger display I really struggle with close up small stuff (never been an issue hunting once animals sighted)
    As stated I am looking for accuracy good enough for reloading for my hunting rifle, seating depth with comparator inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I was looking for digital for the bigger display I really struggle with close up small stuff (never been an issue hunting once animals sighted)
    As stated I am looking for accuracy good enough for reloading for my hunting rifle, seating depth with comparator inserts.
    A dial caliper would be much easier to read for a slightly short sighted person than a vernier
    planenutz, Cordite and dannyb like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Send address and I’ll send you a non mity pair for $10. Done.
    If you know or learn how to read the vernier scale there is no need for digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cordite and dannyb like this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Send address and I’ll send you a non mity pair for $10. Done.
    If you know or learn how to read the vernier scale there is no need for digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks @Danny that's a nice offer I am pretty sure @Spanners has me sorted
    Danny likes this.

I just went with kinchrome digital for reloading, I’ve tested them against my mitoyos at work with some calibrated blocks and they’re smack on everytime. Think they were about $100
    WillB, Cordite and dannyb like this.

There have been a number of threads on calipers (I asked myself once). There are always people who advise you to use $20 tools. Surprising how few do the "Buy once Cry once" thing.

I'm a hunter and I struggle to get into MOA so probably am similar to you. I do a LOT of measuring. They are handy for some stuff other than reloading too. I bought a set of Mitutoyo, had to order them in and I think they cost about $280 about 5 years ago. They are still working 100% and I've only had to change the battery once. They're easy to use and always give the same result to within 0.001" measuring the same thing (you get more consistent over time there's a knack). I suspect its like rifles, quite a few meet the accuracy standard but some are more reliable durable easy and nice to use.

See: still "new in box":
    Name:  Mit cal box.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  245.0 KB

This is the model. I think there might be higher grade ones with more decimal places. These ones give a reading that either .0005" or .0010" ie only slightly better than 1/1000 inch. They can read in metric or inches.
    Name:  Mit Cal Modl.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  136.5 KB

I keep them in the original packaging, with an oily rag between the jaws and a piece of "gunsmith paper" to fend off rust.
    Name:  Mit cal storg.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  169.9 KB

Here they are with the Hornady comparator for cartridge headspace (measure how much you've full length sized them). I also use them to measure CBTO (seating depth) to the ogive with a different insert. That is a more variable measurement from one round to another, specially if you use the Sinclair hex nut you can see at the top of the photo. The hornady bullet inserts are better to use.
    Name:  Mit Cal w Hrnd HS comp.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  169.4 KB

Other reloading stuff I often measure are:
    case length
    primer pocket depth
    base diameter before and after firing (I know a ring micrometer should be used for that but I'm too lazy to take it to the range and its vernier is hard for me to read).
    Overall length to tip (not a datum dimension as tips vary but I do it anyway).
    Primer depth check.
    I don't do any neck turning, doughnut reaming, tension adjustment, bullet sorting or that sort of thing.
    I'm not a F class or bench rest shooter, just hunting and a bit of gong shooting (which doesn't require peak accuracy).

So, my recommendation if you can afford them once when setting up your kit is a pair of Mitutoyo digital like these
    Last edited by Bagheera; 28-01-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Danny, WillB and Cordite like this.