Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Does reducing the powder charge for a 12 gauge slug safely reduce projectile speed?

Does reducing the powder charge for a 12 gauge slug safely reduce projectile speed?

A friend I have loaded some 12 gauge slugs in the past has asked me to reduce the fps by about 400 fps.
    Being a noobee, I assiduously followed the manufacturer's loading books instructions and am uncertain how to achieve this nor do I fully comprehend all the unfortunate side effects which may occur.

These are both sabot slugs (using a WAA 12 wad with trimmed petals.) Lyman 525 gr and Lee 1 oz which I have loaded according to these manufacturer's recommendations, being:

Lyman . Lymans 5 th edition Shotshell Reloading handbook page 380....28 grains AP70N 1400 fps
    Lee. Loading instructions supplied with their Lee 1 oz slug mould.....29 grains AP70N 1450 fps

Please, there are three issues upon which I seek your advice / opinions...........and of course any extras you may feel necessary.

1...Will just reducing the powder load result in a slower slug speed? I would suspect so, but by how many grains to achieve the 400 fps speed reduction? I can of course do a range of powder loads but am uncertain of the range variation, i e three loads, starting first at 13 grains, then increase each by 3 grains
    I realise that this is probably going to be subsonic but think that although not being told so, this is what he wants.

2...Will reducing the powder load be an invitation for severe loss of projectile speed and control? I would expect so if too much of a powder reduction was made. Is that inevitable when any reduction is made or is there a lower threshold before it becomes troublesome?
    3...Apart from the possibility of a reduced powder load not completely emptying the barrel and leaving an obstruction within, what other are undesirable side effects could arise?

Your advice would be appreciated.

So you want to make sub-sonics? Waiting with great interest at the answers..
    40mm likes this.

Reducing powder charge will naturally reduce velocity I sometimes make mouse fart loads ( 12gr 700x and 1 oz shot)for kids to use. They require some fiddling as the powder column is shorter and affects the overall length and have found them easiest to cut the petals off and roll crimp.
    These are shot loads by the way and havnt been chronied but they have piss all recoil and sound like a champagne cork. As the weight of shot is the same as your slugs and the bearing area on the bore is approximately the same results should be similar.
    It actually takes very little force to push a wad down the bore the choke being the only real constriction, I know this from experience but don't ask me how.

Reducing powder charge will naturally reduce velocity I sometimes make mouse fart loads ( 12gr 700x and 1 oz shot)for kids to use. Std load is 18 grains 700x so mimms calculation appears a good guide. They require some fiddling as the powder column is shorter and affects the overall length and have found them easiest to cut the petals off and roll crimp.
    These are shot loads by the way and havnt been chronied but they have piss all recoil and sound like a champagne cork. As the weight of shot is the same as your slugs and the bearing area on the bore is approximately the same results should be similar.
    It actually takes very little force to push a wad down the bore the choke being the only real constriction, I know this from experience but don't ask me how.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Reducing powder charge will naturally reduce velocity I sometimes make mouse fart loads ( 12gr 700x and 1 oz shot)for kids to use.............It actually takes very little force to push a wad down the bore the choke being the only real constriction, I know this from experience but don't ask me how.
    Interesting. Thank You and I'll add that to my information resource.

As for "don't ask", I won't but I fear I already know and that is one reason why the recipient of these outcomes is using a single shot ,break open 12 g.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Have you actually chronied them?...........
    Nope, ain't got one so at this early stage just going by by the prescence or absence of the sonic crack.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    No issues unless he's poaching with it. Has he got a supressor?
    He ain't poaching, it just seems we have interests which over lap. We both have the Norwegian A 12

https://tinyurl.com/y529jocl

but will not be using it with slugs. Two reason, first because the accompanying literature says not to and second, so does Anders E. Johansen, the developer in reply to an email I sent to him.

Many thanks for the other observations about load, weight, instability, rifling etc. All now added to my resource base.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Nope, ain't got one so at this early stage just going by by the prescence or absence of the sonic crack.

He ain't poaching, it just seems we have interests which over lap. We both have the Norwegian A 12

https://tinyurl.com/y529jocl

but will not be using it with slugs. Two reason, first because the accompanying literature says not to and second, so does Anders E. Johansen, the developer in reply to an email I sent to him.

Many thanks for the other observations about load, weight, instability, rifling etc. All now added to my resource base.
    URL fails to function.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

What is a "Norwegian A12?"
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Is a SG subsonic more accurate? Thinking, if a SG slug exits the bore subsonic, it won't experience subsonic-->transonic-->subsonic transition wobbles.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

find a round ball of correct diameter...and be aware,and make sure to tell you mate...shotgun slugs BOUNCE like buggery if hit something hard,slowing them down will make it more so....many years ago I nearly shot myself with 12ga solid after shooting big ram through head inside a woolshed,the projectile went around the walls and rails and stopped on decking 12'' from my leg...needless to say didnt do it again...big rams are plurry hard work to tip over for a teenager,so shooting them first was humaine on us both.
    Moa Hunter and Cordite like this.

if he knows how to clean gun...and looks after it...black powder would do it really easy as it wont be much above 1100fps now.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if he knows how to clean gun...and looks after it...black powder would do it really easy as it wont be much above 1100fps now.
    He has that knowledge and more, however, I suspect he neither appreciates nor understands my interest in B.P. Just out of curiousity re the response, I will pass on your suggestion re B.P. use. Will have to choose the moment 'tho.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    URL fails to function.
    @Finnwolf You may have noted some "issues" being mentioned with Tiny url earlier in this thtread. Seems that they are still "happening", even as I bang away at the keyboard. Try this one

https://tinyurl.com/44x6h74e

which worked at the time of pasting it into this post. I ALWAYS test my pasted links, but if this also fails, then copy and paste this

https://www.a-tec.no/silencers

into the address field of your browser using "Paste and go"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    What is a "Norwegian A12?"
    A lazy and totally incorrect "Kiwi" naming of one of your countryman's products.

This stupid boy dropped the - and substituted 12 for tec as it is attached to a Sulun A-12 Benelli clone. Sorry @norsk I trust this below, clarifies the product.

Name:  A_Tec Capture.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  67.8 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

lyman #5 says DO NOT reduce by moree than 5% in the buckshot/slug text....