Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 4 Post By jakewire

Thread: Don't skip the checks!

Gone but not forgotten

Don't skip the checks!

I loaded some ammo this afternoon.
    After weighing powder into the cases my usual procedure is to take the reloading block under the overhead light to check all cases have powder, and the level looks the same in all cases. In the past I sometimes skipped this check, and ended up with a few rounds with no powder - thankfully discovered before trying to fire them!
    Anyway, when doing the check today I noticed one case looked quote a bit fuller than the others. I reweighed the powder and it was about 47 grains instead of 42.5! Damn glad I did the check, I don't know how it happened, I checked several of the other powder charges and they were all correct.
    It would have been a fairly warm load!
    planenutz, ZQLewis, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

It pays to check, same as you I do the visual to see if the levels are about the same and all have powder. Once I had a case a lot fuller than the others and later found a piece of fluff in the case which must have been in my pocket which worked it's way into the case.
    I have forgotten the primer on the odd occasion which isn't very helpful.
    dannyb likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Good result, do you use a thrower?

I hate it when you load x number of rounds with powder, then pick up the first one to seat and hello, whats that bit of powder in the space where the case just was.
    Hmmm.....
    dannyb likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gone but not forgotten
    I was using beam scales, my best guess is the beam somehow got stuck, or maybe contacted the trickler.

I havent missed priming a case yet. I use a hand primer and check with my finger that the primer is flush, then they go in the reloading block neck down/base up so it would hopefully be fairly obvious if I missed one.
    Mooseman likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Priming is the one I miss most, having said that out of... who knows how many it seems to be my biggest fault when i am in a hurry

I weigh every charge out of a teaspoon on to an electronic scale then dump into the redding balance on the way though.It's slow but that is what I do.

Still on occasion I have got so focused I have sized, measured, trimmed, cleaned pockets, checked and chamfered in and out, etc set them in the block.
    and fuck
    still missed priming.
    Personally I blame the labour government, your reasoning may vary.
    Last edited by jakewire; 28-02-2020 at 09:30 PM.
    madjon_, BRADS, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?