Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Downloading 223 for hunting goats

Downloading 223 for hunting goats

Thinking about downloading my 223 to say between 22 magnum and 22 hornet power levels.
    For goats in forestry areas that are normally shot under 70m.
    Main purpose of downloading is to reduce noise level. Already have a DPT suppressor on it.
    1:8 twist rate.

Anyone has any ideas?

Is this reasonable or is it better to stick with standard old 223 power level with a 55 grain projectile?

Caretaker
    Put two extra baffles in the DPT and carry on
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Have you had complaints? I wouldnt think it would be worth the hassle unless close to housing etc

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Have you had complaints? I wouldnt think it would be worth the hassle unless close to housing etc
    No houses nearby, just for my own hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Put two extra baffles in the DPT and carry on
    Good idea actually, always just been using 5 baffles and never thought of that.
    7mmsaum likes this.

From experience with other calibers i have found that dropping the load to close to the minium recommended powder charge drops the noise and recoil significantly. However to get down to hornet levels??
    Quick look and I see a hornet maxes a 55gr bullet at 2650 fps and a 223 min load for a 55gr bullet is 2800-3100fps depending upon powder.
    Or 4 gr trail boss for 1050fps but i suspect they may pencil through.
    Mild loads and upgrade the silencer.
    Z
    dannyb likes this.

Iv got 12 baffles on my 300blk Dpt
    Just keep adding them till you get the desired result

12-13gr of AP100 and a 50-55gr projectile.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Greetings All,
    Two of the ADI powders can be used in light loads. With 55 grain projectiles and AR2206H (H4895) you can go down to 16 grains (60% of 26 grains) and with Trail Boss down to 4 grains (70% of case capacity). You can find more info on this on the Hodgdon site. 4 grains of Trail Boss is likely subsonic. Accuracy is probably best a bit above minimum. You can't double charge the case with either of these powders. A very good thing.
    Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    The hodgdon "low loading advice" applies ONLY to the hodgdon powder it was printed for (4895?) So despite being comparable, ADI powders are not specified for reduced loads.
    Not all ADI powders have a hodgdon branded equivalent, though some are exact same powder (manufactured by ADI, just sold under the US hodgdon brand.)

You seem to know your stuff Grandpamac, so I'd take that as good advice. I just need to point out that this is off the books. (Which there's nothing wrong with, done with due care and attention)
    Greetings Mimms2,

Hodgdon H4895 is AR2206H and has been since the mid 1990's. It is all made in Oz. Same with Trail Boss. You probably remember that AR2206 was used in NZ up to 2000. This was slowed by ADI to match H4895 and given the suffix H for Hodgdon. Hodgdon found that AR2206H gave better results with reduced loads than IMR4895 and recommended only the former for that purpose. Most but not all of the ADI powders are offered by Hodgdon under their own names. I think Benchmark 1 is the only ADI rifle powder not offered by Hodgdon. All the data for the ADI powders is developed by Hodgdon. I can give you all Hodgdon names for the ADI powders if you like. Once again it is not an equivalent but exactly the same.

Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

2206h somewhere around 24.5 grns was my go to load for years.....its not hot with a 50 grn projectile and its noticably quieter than a hot load...drop it down some more and watch your accuracy....if you can go down to 16 grns I WOULD TRY 20 grns and see what you think....
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Who's got AP100?
    Me.

You could Probably dial in an off-the books load of fast bulky powder to hit 1800-2200 fps.
    And you can do exactly that with it.
    mimms2 likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

There is an equivalent chart for most powders on the ADI website,lots are classed as same powder just different packaging

I would use a varmint projectile if you are trying to slow them down just to get some expansion.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Have posted this previously on thread "Reloading 223R to low velocity". May be of interest.
    Not quite the velocity you're looking for but found the following with Trail Boss, CCI primers, 55gr V-Max. Howa 1500/ 16" barrel, Sonic 45 suppressor.
    8.5gr TB :1678fps av vel. 204fps ES, 105fps SD. Accuracy so so.
    8.0gr TB :1725fps av vel. 56fps ES, 28fps SD. Accurate load.
    Using 8.0gr load on goats around sensitive areas successfully.
    Have also tried H322/AR2219 15.6gr: 1738fps av vel. 67fps ES, 37fps SD. Works alright but decided to go with TB as had a reasonable amount on hand at the time.