Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: electronic vs beam scales

electronic vs beam scales

What are you all using for powder scales?
    Was thinking about switching to electric scales but not sure what I need to spend to get a good set, anything to watch out for?

I might get a new set of beam scales, recommendations?

this is what i use i find it awesome was about $600 from memory
    Lyman 1200 DPS3 dispensing 10 rounds start to finnish review. - YouTube
    BRADS likes this.
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by geezejonesy View Post
    this is what i use i find it awesome was about $600 from memory
    Lyman 1200 DPS3 dispensing 10 rounds start to finnish review. - YouTube
    +1 on the lyman, bugger weighing each charge

Yeah they look like the goods and is probably about as good as it gets.
    Out of my price bracket tho

It's going to ruin your life when you find out that they aren't even close to as good as it gets then. When you start getting into the 'good' category the price will be triple what the Lyman goes for.

With that in mind if you're not prepared to spend some good money you would be far better off investing in a decent set of balance beams.
    Last edited by Proudkiwi; 08-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Oh yip
    What makes the other ones you speak of so much better proudkiwi? They must do some magical shit
    I have never had a problem with the time it takes trickling every charge onto a beam scale so might just stick with it.
    What are "good" beam scales? Looking at a redding scale. Any recommendations?
    Toby likes this.

Im keen on some new balance scales too
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Oh yip
    What makes the other ones you speak of so much better proudkiwi? They must do some magical shit
    I have never had a problem with the time it takes trickling every charge onto a beam scale so might just stick with it.
    What are "good" beam scales? Looking at a redding scale. Any recommendations?
    Mechanical dampening is usually what sets the good ones apart. Most of the cheaper electronic ones, and the Lyman and RCBS fall into this category, wander all over the show. They are no better, or faster for that matter, than a decent set of beam scales.

In saying all of that, how accurate do you have to be? I know of plenty of guys using a dirty old charge master that can shoot groups in the .1's at a hundy. I like using nice shit though so I needed a GD503. YMMV.

As for balance beam scales, I'm not the one to ask cause I know fuck all about them.

I think people come at this from the wrong direction sometimes. Most of my gear has come about because I wanted to achieve something or had a problem that needed solving. I wanted to speed things up so got an RCBS chargemaster , specd properly and with the drinking straw trick it builds ammo as consistently accurate as any beam scale and its a good time saver as its trickling up while you are doing whatever else you need to do. Its never going to be as accurate as the GD 503 but Iv seen no evidence at all that weighing powder to that degree is any advantage at all. If your ammo is accurate and es and sd is good then what are you trying to achieve? and if its not there are beter places to start looking than a few granuels of powder. I do understand the " wanting nice gear" though
    veitnamcam, R93, 338 and 3 others like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    I think people come at this from the wrong direction sometimes. Most of my gear has come about because I wanted to achieve something or had a problem that needed solving.
    I have just been using the lee scale and it has produced some pretty accurate ammo, like .2's out of my 204 and easy .5 5 shot from the wsm but getting sick of it sticking and mucking about.
    I want a more solid scale that weighs up to 500grain so I can weigh projectiles brass etc

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I have just been using the lee scale and it has produced some pretty accurate ammo, like .2's out of my 204 and easy .5 5 shot from the wsm but getting sick of it sticking and mucking about.
    I want a more solid scale that weighs up to 500grain so I can weigh projectiles brass etc
    I reckon the Lee scales are total pieces of shit compared to anything.

Yeah that is the general consensus. Still do the job but feeling the need for an upgrade

I've got a RCBS balance scale. It's bloody good! I think it's the 505 model, but I'm not a hundy.

It cost me $200 second hand, but well worth it
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I'm glad I got my Lyman 1200 DPS II, 7 or 8 years ago.

I put the DPS III upgrade kit into it & wouldn't be without it.

When it dies I will deffinately get another one or a charge master.

Very handy for accurately weighing everything from projectiles to case water capacity instantly.

There are more precise ones out there no doubt, but when you see how the bench rest boys meter their powder I doubt it makes a difference.