Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Fast twist 22-250 Load advice

Fast twist 22-250 Load advice

Hey guys. I have just purchased a Tikka 22-250 with a 1-7 twist 21inch Proof research carbon barrel.
    I am going to do load development for it, I already have a tikka Supervarmint 22-250 1-12 or 1-14 twist.
    My question is, I have approx 500 50gr Vmax projectiles and about 2kg of Benchmark 2 ADI powder.
    Does anybody load light projectiles into a fast twist or am I better to forget I have all those projectiles and try heavier ones like a 80gr eldm?
    Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Aim small , miss small

Have you worked out your maximum COAL with a tool like the Hornady COAL gauge? Do you know how the really long for calibre bullets will be seated? I’d want to know that first, so maybe someone can send you some samples of various long for calibre bullets.
    Just...say...the...word

kw
    Name:  20200119_114812.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  1.58 MB any luck with the stock, Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    There's really no such thing as "too much twist"
    This just isn’t true. Lots written about it. Not a massive risk but a risk nonetheless. But no point debating it here because we will go to far off topic. If I remember correctly there are some on this forum who have witnessed thin jacketed bullets blowing up due to high velocity and overspinning.

The question is whether or not @Curtis27 would see any benefit from using heavier projectiles. The whole point of this chambering having a fast twist is to use long for calibre, high BC bullets which give a massive upgrade in ballistic performance downrange. Curtis, I suggest you hop onto something like the Hornady or JBM ballistic calculators and see for yourself. The windage performance and retained energy of a 80 grain ELD-M at 300m compared to a 50 grain V-Max is night and day. With the barrel you have it wouldn’t even enter my head to stick with the 50 grain.
    bully, GWH, SlimySquirrel and 5 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    This just isn’t true. Lots written about it. Not a massive risk but a risk nonetheless. But no point debating it here because we will go to far off topic. If I remember correctly there are some on this forum who have witnessed thin jacketed bullets blowing up due to high velocity and overspinning.

The question is whether or not @Curtis27 would see any benefit from using heavier projectiles. The whole point of this chambering having a fast twist is to use long for calibre, high BC bullets which give a massive upgrade in ballistic performance downrange. Curtis, I suggest you hop onto something like the Hornady or JBM ballistic calculators and see for yourself. The windage performance and retained energy of a 80 grain ELD-M at 300m compared to a 50 grain V-Max is night and day. With the barrel you have it wouldn’t even enter my head to stick with the 50 grain.
    Thanks for the replies. I think using the 50gr as stated will defeat the purpose of having a fast twist barrel. I want it to be safe and mainly use 22-250 for varmint and wallabies etc. Fallow deer if I come across one while varminting. As for powders does anyone have experience loading with benchmark 2? Or would the likes of 2209 be a better option to try
    Aim small , miss small

well I dont have a fast twist .22-250
    BUT I do shoot wallabies etc with 50grn vmax (awesome wobbly load) and occasionally the odd deer or pig falls over with the wee gun doing the tipping over bit....WHAT I DO is dual load...eg carry some other loads in tit pocket..,my goto load for this is at present a 50grn flatbased barnes ttsx and ffrom results so far it wont bechanging in a hurry....IF a .22-250 will group them,and cant see why not as my 1;12 .223 does,they will be perfect for the job...the extra speed and twist will make them open very very well.....a heavier projectile will be better out further BUT it would have to be quite a bit past 200 yards (my maximum for .224 on bigger game) before it would be a game changer for me....the wee barnes work so well.... BM2 is lovely powder to load as its fine ball powder like win748,meters easy and trickles smoothly vs the chunks of log which are ADI stick powder...either will work fine. just finished loading 2208 in .45/70 and it trickles fine and metered pretty darn close ,so the difference in powder shape is trivial thing.....being ABLE TO GET powder you want is a bigger issue as of late...get what you think will work and if its ok grab more while you can. it wont go off in hurry if stored well.
    Moa Hunter, mimms2 and caberslash like this.

if your wallaby shooting is normally sub 300 yards and you have 50 grn vmax projectile on hand...go to it with a will...man they will be super explosive,MAYBE too much so as flyblown has alluded to so might be a good idea to load them at starting load levels....NO it doesnt defeat purpose of 22-250 a 50 grn pill at say 3300fps will be more than doing the job humanely. the projectiles are cheap enough. no harm in having longer slippery loads for the sitters at 350-400 .and I do agree with flyblown that a heavier longer slippery projectile will suit rifle better... use the other rifle with the 50grns and be happy.....but if you are going to mix up rifles...I really hope you have the 50s with the fast twist and not the heavies with the slow twist,or you will likely have shotgun like patterns and not have a good day at all.

Your objective is a high case fill ratio, so rather a slower powder than a faster one.

What I recommend is getting your hands on some of the bullets you want to try and then we can work out your cartridge overall length based on when the bullet touches the lands. This will then tell us what your potential powder capacity is. You will also need to measure the case capacity with water, You can find out online how to do that.

Once you know these variables then you can pick a sensible powder to use based on attaining an appropriate 90-95% case fill ratio, with a burn speed that generates safe pressures. Typically in the list of powders for a specific cartridge and bullet weight there are only one or two options that will meet these criteria. For ADI brand, I wouldn’t mind betting that 2209 and 2213SC are pretty close to spot on. I can have a look on Quickload a bit later if you like. But you will need to check your max COAL because if your chamber hasn’t been cut with long for calibre bullets in mind you are disadvantaging yourself using the heavy .224s, and you might need to go for a more middleweight bullet. (Because if you can’t seat the really long bullets far enough out you are robbing too much case capacity and won’t be able to drive them fast enough to make them worthwhile)
    Just...say...the...word

Banned
    I love 250's, a great calibre. Because you are relying on speed not bullet diametre to do the work, for deer I would go with a hard bullet that can take the RPM's and punch through. A Nosler 70 gr Accubond would work well IMO. Often a really heavy bullet might look good on paper but it can be a slow killer on game and really rob velocity.

Name:  20200926_132208.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  4.19 MBName:  20200926_132542.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  4.28 MB
    50gr Z-max measures 2.488" on COAL gauge
    Sierra 77gr TMK measures 2.585"
    Flyblown likes this.
    Aim small , miss small

For the 77gr TMK:

2208 or 2206H are looking like the best options. I would try them in that order.
    2209 & 2213 are a little too slow.
    BM2 is definitely too fast and results in a low case fill (<80%).

Because its a 21" barrel you're losing a bit of speed, ~100fps. But the 2208 is still almost all burnt (>99%). It will be loud!

The QL model has 34gr 2208 at just below max pressure, 96% case fill ratio. So start around 32gr.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Do you own a reloading manual?

Nick Harvey’s one has heavy bullet loads for the 250

Otherwise try ADI, they make the powder your using.
    Warm Barrels!

@Curtis27 I am using 55g in a 1:9 so cant offer any advice on 50g but I imagine they will be fair moving. Have 55g going at around 3720fps using 2206h.
    75g eldm going at a bit over 3100fps using 2206h also.

In my very unqualified opinion I say load em up and see how they go if that's what you want to use. Soon find out. The heavies will shoot fine as well.
    mimms2 likes this.

targex
    If you would like some 69gr Targex to try let me know & I can get a few to you. They will work fine in the twist you have.
    Cheers
    Tahr, madjon_, GWH and 2 others like this.

Those Targex will be a nice mix of speed and thump.

I'd avoid the 50's as they may (may not) spin up to much and become vapor before they hit the target.
    1-7 Is really fast for the light pills with so much powder and as you said, it kinda defeats the purpose.

We used to use the 45gr hollow points from Winchester... lots of puff on plovers.

75 Eldm will also be a nice round too.
    Micky Duck likes this.