Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Federal large primers

Federal large primers

I normally use cci primers but due to the shop we use were out brought some federal primers.
    Have had no issues with cci primers.
    Loaded up quite a few went out last weekend and out of the 50 odd rounds shooting goats 6 rounds did not fire!
    There was dent from firing pin and guns only had 100 or so rounds throu. Any one had issues with these primers.
    Lucky these were goats and not reds

GWH
    Fed 210's and 215's are all ive ever really used, thousands of the bloody things over the last few years, ive never had a missfire
    veitnamcam, tetawa, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Same as above, never had an issue. Sure your hands were clean when handling them?

Seems odd...primers so reliable these days unlikely to be bad batch and may be the rifle?? I use both, the Feds are slightly larger than CCI and can be handy if primer picket is slightly large on older reloaded brass.

R93
    I have had missfires with every brand I have used at one time or another.

Imo, mostly due to my own mistakes with seating or contaminating them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg, PERRISCICABA and WallyR like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

What case lube are you using?
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I've only ever used Fed 210's, and never had an issue. I'd look for contamination or some other mistake along the way.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

northdude
    Same here never had a problem with them interesting them being slightly larger sometimes require a little extra to seat them now I know why

Always used feds just dont touch them. Tip straight in to primer holder/feeder

I use a Sinclair priming tool. Slowish, but beautifully made and seats primers best of the feeders I've tried.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    You can handle primers as long as your hands are clean. Have done so for over forty years and only ever had 1 misfire out of tens of thousands.

Glad to know that they are good primers I do use gloves always and brass is always clean before loading ill keep using the primers hopefully is just me. Cheers guys

I prefer Federal primers only misfires I have had was from some primed cases I left in the garage for a few weeks and they got damp
    check your seating depth if not firmly seated they will misfire, a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer will help by squaring up the bottom
    of the pocket, and clean the pockets if you don't already do that, also give the bolt a good clean could be some old oil and dust slowing down
    the firing pn I found Federal primers to be slightly softer than CCI especially small pistol primers.
    10-Ring and WallyR like this.

i'm relatively new to reloading but have used federal and cci primers with zero issues.

I just use my fingers. I always wash hands before starting, I only prime the number of cases I intend to load (only ever load small batches, say 10-20 rounds) and load them there and then.

I have an old C style Lyman press, therefore I seat each primer individually, so every primer gets handled. I always clean carbon from primer pocket as part of case prep.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella