Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By 6.5mm-mag
  • 4 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Flyblown

Thread: Federal trophy bonded bullets

Federal trophy bonded bullets

Thinking about trying these in my 284 and wondered if anyone else has used them. I see the Duleys load them and have shot tahr with them but thinking more towards softer animals like reds, fallow etc. I reckon I could get the 140s moving but have never used a bonded bullet so really unsure how they would perform on game. Cheers

Are you meaning the Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped projectiles?
    superdiver likes this.

Yep

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Thinking about trying these in my 284 and wondered if anyone else has used them. I see the Duleys load them and have shot tahr with them but thinking more towards softer animals like reds, fallow etc. I reckon I could get the 140s moving but have never used a bonded bullet so really unsure how they would perform on game. Cheers
    So you have never used "bonded" bullets before, but so far the animals you shoot with standard cup'n core, die like they should.......... Don't do it just coz Duley does........

bonded sounds like "harder" or "tougher" or "less expandy" to me...the animals you mention are all not so tough....so 257weatherby has a point...the cup n core loads doing the bizo??? if it aint broke dont try to fix it....

Just had some mates over from Canada using factory Federal trophy Bonded Ammo, and it was very decisive on reds, fallow, sheep, and tahr........like very decisive! And very accurate. Have 35 rounds of factory 300WSM for sale if anybody wants to try it.

Have never used these so can’t comment on their suitability for NZ game, but usually any bullet ex Nth America that wears the “trophy bonded” tag is a very tough projectile designed for big tough game like brown bears. Think something that is going to kill you if u don’t get in first. Usually too tough and non frangible for NZ game, even tahr.
    Remember Dulley is being paid by his sponsors to push their gear.
    The info from @Husky1600 does however sound promising and these pills may not be as tough as others

Yeah I have a good load for a soft point but feel the calibre is a bit wasted using them to an extent esp for longer stuff. Originally loaded some ELDMs which have killed well but barely getting MOA and not happy with that. Those federals sound like they are bullets to avoid for me then! Have some 150gr nosler BTs/160gr TMKs/150gr ELDX to try as well

Yeah I have a good load for a soft point but feel the calibre is a bit wasted using them to an extent esp for longer stuff. Originally loaded some ELDMs which have killed well but barely getting MOA and not happy with that. Those federals sound like they are bullets to avoid for me then! Have some 150gr nosler BTs/160gr TMKs/150gr ELDX to try as well
    Im going to try the 150 eldx over rl16 i think.

Odd you cant gt the eldm's going, usually pretty east to load for. Have you played with seating depth?

TMKs are a really great option for the 284 medium to long range, and seem to be quite easy to get an accurate load. I’ve worked them up in 3 different 284s and they all worked very well
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    TMKs are a really great option for the 284 medium to long range, and seem to be quite easy to get an accurate load. I’ve worked them up in 3 different 284s and they all worked very well
    After how your advice went on the speer hcsp I think I will listen to you haha
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Im going to try the 150 eldx over rl16 i think.

Odd you cant gt the eldm's going, usually pretty east to load for. Have you played with seating depth?
    Have not tried seating depth but will have a play. They certainly kill well and are going OK over 2209 but not good enough in reality

Ive got some of these Fed TBT to load for my 270wsm for interests sake. What I like about the design is that they have plenty of lead in their snozz and solid copper in the back half. Like the old Noser solid base but beefed up, and they were very good bullets. I think that they might work as having the penetration of the Barnes but a bigger exit wound. I like blood on the ground.

Currently using Barnes LRX in the 270wsm which are accurate and penetrate like anything but leave a minimal exit and no blood trail. The internal damage is still adequate though.
    300AAC likes this.

Yeah I have a good load for a soft point but feel the calibre is a bit wasted using them to an extent esp for longer stuff.
    I might be misunderstanding you here @superdiver, but if its longer stuff you're interested in then don't go for a bonded bullet.

Some good comments here already, and probably not going to tell you anything you don't already know... but the main thing is that bonded bullets are designed for max weight retention and to not fragment, for tough heavy game. At longer ranges, where a hit a bit far back is a real risk due to windage, a hard bonded bullet on our deer species can be very unforgiving.

In 300 Win Mag pretty much any 200gr bullet will do the bizzo on our game if put in the front of the engine room, but in lesser calibres and speeds, if ranges are getting out towards ~2200fps or less impact velocity, you'd better hope you're on the money.

Just a personal preference, totally get what @Tahr is saying - he's got a good dog - but as a dogless hunter I prefer a bullet to open fast and fragment a fair bit, and if I find the remains on the other side hide, then all good, cos the animal is dead-o and probably right where I shot it. My experience is that fragmenting hunting bullets kill a whole lot faster than bonded bullets, on normal sized deer. And at longer range >500-600m a soft bullet is better all round.
    dannyb likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

The TBT's definitely leave a good blood trail from the few animals I saw them used on. But there was really no need, they died within a very short distance.