Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Finally getting around to 'working up a load'

I've been putting off and putting off loading up some test rounds with different powder loads for the 243. I've been wanting to give up procrastinating for a while too, but I keep putting that off. With my first safe reloads I was getting 25mm groups at 100m so figured that was near enough but after finding TR's rifle was getting 20mm groups with the same load something had to be done.

So I loaded up a handful of rounds of each load in 0.5gn increments from 0.5gn under book max (and 0.5gn above the previous safe load) to 1.5gn over book max where I'd been told I would likely find a node. Then it was off to the range. Not a lot of wind and it was fairly warm. I figured I wouldn't get too fancy and just fired off the various loads in succession at separate targets with a half hour break between each to allow the rifle to cool down (that reminds me of another project) and just see how each lot went.

Well the first lot seemed fairly close, the next load up spread out a bit (30mm), the next after that spread out even more (63mm), the next was starting to come down again (41mm) last lot was coming down further again though I pulled one shot (44mm incl pulled shot, 34mm excl). I noticed the rifle felt a lot 'rougher' firing with the worst loads and as the groups came down again it was still more pleasant to shoot.

With each shot I immediately opened the bolt to improve cooling and while waiting inspected each case for over pressure signs before putting the empty away. No pressure signs were noticed and I suspect that 2gn over book max may have had me pretty close to another node, and I suppose in hindsight it would have been wise to have had that loaded up too. Never mind though, I think I'll stick with the lower node as a 7mm group at 100m doesn't seem too bad and it will likely be easier on the barrel.

Next will have to be loading up a dose more of this load and pick a day when the chrony will give some readings.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

P38
    Good stuff Gadgetman

A 7mm group with the .243 is outstanding ........... unless it was a one shot group that is.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Good stuff Gadgetman

A 7mm group with the .243 is outstanding ........... unless it was a one shot group that is.

Cheers
    Pete
    Actually a 7mm group would be bloody good going with a 6mm pill.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

You could put 10 shots into the same hole and it still means nothing until you get a 6.5! ha!
    VIVA LA HOWA

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Actually a 7mm group would be bloody good going with a 6mm pill.
    Your not wrong GM.

ebf
    GM, I start way lower.

Take the max published, subtract 10%, then increments of 0.7% or 1.0%. 1st 3 loads tend to be just pressure confirmation.

You'd be surprised by nodes lower down, does not have to be near or above max.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I agree ebf, there is the higher node but I don't intend to look for it. For a hunting round from a sporter barrel I think this will do me as I doubt I'll be shooting this accurately out in the field anyway. The next step will be to load more up and find the speed on a Chrony friendly day. Then get out and use them.

I was surprised by the way the different loads felt though, with the most inaccurate shaking like mad.